We should create a Suicide Rememberence/Awareness Day.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by doityourself, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Any ideas-thoughts on how we could go about doing this.

We could light candles around the world, certain color. Or we could hang ribbons.
  2. ~Young-Violet~

~Young-Violet~ Banned Member

I think it is a lovely ideas, I like the ribbon idea maybe black and in a x shape you could also raise money for it change everyone 50p or a pound so on :)
    Theres already a day though as well x
  3. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

Good Idea, but there is already a World Suicide Prevention Day on 10 September just incase you didn't know
  4. doityourself

No I didnt know but Im going to look it up and wonder why theres not more coverage on it.

You would think that it would be well advertised to show the world how much people are actually hurting.
  5. because they are afraid that this type of rememberance will trigger some people?? or maybe they think it's a waste of money?? Can we do one rememberance in the forum??
  6. doityourself

okay so I went out and googled and search and there is some info out there on this but not enough in my opin.

Maybe some can put some links they like here in case Im missing them, I would like to do more in my community on this date. I will hang and tie ribbons all night to get more attention on this matter.
  7. TheOncomingStorm

8. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I think that Suicide Prevention Day should be used to spread more awareness of mental health issues than it currently is.
  9. 41021

41021 Banned Member

There is an international suicide remembrance day as well as national ones. There are walks, candle lightings, broadcasted programs. There are programs for awareness and prevention. It is good to post those links during the times they hold these events.

BUT, having one here, a day of admins choosing, would be good. We are group of ppl who fairly well know each other, know each other's stories, care about each other, and wish to be there to support each other...this makes it much more personal.

I like the idea of SF having it's own day of remembrance. In this case, i'm not so sure we really need to focus on awareness as the site does quite a good job as it is, as do the many other global and national programs. I'm speaking more, human to human, person to person...remembrance day for those at sf.

now i go crawl back in my cave :sad:
  10. TheOncomingStorm

Don't think theres an awareness day here :S ... Theres no walks, candle lightings or broadcasted programmes as far as I am aware.
  11. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

First of march is Self Injury Awareness Day and Suicide Awareness Day is September 10th
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.