1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webpage Builder & Hosting

Discussion in 'I Need Some Practical Advice' started by gypsylee, Feb 8, 2018.

1. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

Hi guys,

I want to make a webpage but I can’t code. I’ve looked at stuff like Wix and Weebly, and I don’t want all that fancy template jazz. Nor do I want to spend money (unless it’s a one-off small amount).

I hate Facebook and Instagram etc.

Are there any other avenues? I made one years ago and it was simple! Now it’s a minefield of social media, blogs, templates etc.

:confused:o_O:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. Innocent Forever

Innocent Forever Go as long as you can. And then take another step. Chat Pro SF Supporter

If it's for a blog you can use blogspot - blogger.
    Otherwise I use wordpress.org. It actually wasn't all that complicated, although I don't know how to do anything, but, I haven't messed around it much. There are free wordpress but no clue how good they are.
    @Freya @CodeX @Cody0991 care to weigh in?

gypsylee likes this.
  3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN SF Author

If you want free, your best bets are blogger and wordpress.com - there isn't a whole lot of free floating about really and it depends what you want to do with the website really. I am not sure what you mean re not wanting templates? What do you want? If I understand the goal I might be able to help better.

gypsylee likes this.
  4. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

Oh I just get overwhelmed by choice, I guess, and I’m a bit of a dinosaur with technology in some ways. I’m not even sure what my goal is yet. But you guys have both said blogger and wordpress, and it’s helpful to know “there isn't a whole lot of free floating about” which saves me going on wild goose chases which I tend to do :rolleyes: Thanks.

5. CodeX

CodeX Controversial Figure

Hey @Innocent Forever

@gypsylee If you got a lot of free time.. you can learn basics first at Codecademy.. and its fun (at least for me when I was learning javascript) https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-html
    Later on you can try W3Schools https://www.w3schools.com/html/ but if you are in hurry you can use templates which Freya suggested .. I think when you host a website they have some templates as well for free.

My suggestion would be to play with html, css and javascript first on chrome developer edition.

gypsylee likes this.
  6. draws

draws Well-Known Member

Let us know what you end up with. I'm a website designer, and I'm wondering what people in your situation are finding to be most user-friendly.

My advice is try Blogger first, it's less of a behemoth than Wordpress. Also, give Wix another try. Just grab a simple template to get started.

Good luck, and have fun with it!

7. gypsylee

gypsylee SF Supporter

I’ve ended up with nothing haha. Not because I hated everything but because I have my diary on here and decided that’s probably enough (for now).

I had to admit to myself the other day that I miss Facebook a bit :confused: I really do hate it though, more than I miss it #firstworldproblems