Weekly Weigh in

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by NYJmpMaster, Aug 27, 2012.

1. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

A lot of people have a concern about their weight. There are many good reasons for this concern but to me the most important two are general health and perhaps more importantly self image. I am creating this thread to give POSITIVE MOTIVATIONAL SUPPORT to those that want to try to take a step toward achieving a goal towards that end. This is not a place for people with eating disorders such as anorexia, there is an entire forum devoted to that already.

1) The Basic concept is based upon the Weight Watchers practice of a weekly weigh in. It simply enables you to maintain focus on a goal, receive positive reinforcement when it is going well, and motivational support when it is not. Criticism of any type toward a fellow poster will be deleted.

2) Share your goal in a simple format - Goal -35 lbs this week lost 2 (or gained 3 or whatever) overall - lost 8 - as an example. you can share more if you like such as height and weight, but no reason or need to if you don't want to. Your goal can be a current or short term goal - maybe you would like ideally to lose 100 lbs, you can certainly choose a goal of 25 first and then set a new goal when it is accomplished. That is entirely up to you, the goal is your goal, not a medical or BMI chart somewhere.

3) Roughly once a week weigh yourself and post your goal , weekly gain or loss, and overall. Every Friday, Monday - whatever day you choose. Miss a week? Feel like doing it after 5 days? Okay, no problems share as you like. The purpose is absolutely not to embarrass - it is is to get motivation in a positive way or congratulations for a good job. Skipping posting on the bad weeks or exaggerating, hiding results will not be of much help - it is during the bad weeks that most of us need the support and motivation. It is also nice to hear of good results sometimes to make us all see it is possible. While you are posting your results, I would urge you to give a shout out to some of the recent posters to offer your support or motivation.

4) All goals and results can be posted in your local format (pounds, kilograms,stone, etc). You can change your goal anytime you want. If you want to add a target date some find that helpful, if you do not that is fine. If you do and want to adjust it that is fine. If your target day and goal would indicate an unhealthy or unsafe weight loss then you may be told so.

5) This is not a contest- large goals or tiny goals all receive equal respect. 6 lbs by the wedding in 8 weeks is just as important as 100 lbs in 1 year and vice versa.

6) If you have a plan or idea that you intend to try and want to share it feel free. So long as it does not seem unsafe it will be fine (plan to stop eating is not safe and subject to mod edit). Tips or ideas are fine but do not actively criticize.

7) Please no links to pay programs or the like, anything that appears to be spam in nature at all will be deleted.

8) Anybody can give support or motivation, no need to be an active weigh in to offer support or motivation.
  2. NYJmpMaster

My goal is 20 lbs, weighed myself this morning and will add loss or gain and and achievement next week.

I gained 45lbs in 6 months on a new med. When I was switched to a different med I lost 25 lbs quickly and with no real effort on my part. I have decided the last 20 lbs is simply not going to go away by itself and really want to return to my pre med weight. (lots of jeans that have not been out of drawer for months and would like to get some more use out of them). I think I eat reasonably healthy but I get very little exercise and want to try to just walk 30 minutes a day and see if that helps. Since I seldom leave the house at all a 30 minute walk may help in a few areas. Good luck to any others and hope to get some company here.
  3. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

About 3 months ago I weighed 15 stone 9.

I have lost over a stone in total and now weight 14 stone 7.

My target weight is about 12 stone. I am enjoying this steady gradual weight loss as I am adopting a life style and diet that I can maintain.
  4. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Okay - here goes then:

Overall Goal: 70lb (ack)
    Weighed myself today - will report back in a week with a minus figure (not even entertaining the idea of a plus figure at this stage)

I gained - well - a LOT of weight when my thyroid packed in. That was a lot of years ago now. The fact that it hasn't gone anywhere (20lbs up and down over the years but nothing sustained) is largely because I a) do not take my thyroid medication b) eat in a binge/starve cycle and c) do not exercise.

So - goals are:
    • Take my thyroid meds
    • Walk at least 30 minutes each day
    • Eat three times each day - every day - healthy and balanced meals.

See you in a week!
  5. NYJmpMaster

Nice to see you Butterfly and Freya. Sounds like you are off to a great start Butterfly ! Freya the great news of up and down is that you know down is not impossible so it may not seem as difficult as you might imagine otherwise. Good luck and warm wishes to both of you!
  6. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I'll be joining this when I get a set of scales next week, that way I will know my exact weight and how much I would like to lose.
  7. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

8. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Not actually been a week but it is easier for me to do this on a Sunday than a Monday so here we are.

Overall Goal: 70lb
    Weight loss/gain this week: -3lb
    Weight loss/gain total: -3lb

I did not do anything remotely useful this week beyond eat less crap most days. Work got out of hand which sort of killed the walking impetus and I didn't make it to the doctor to sort out thyroid meds and I definitely did not eat three times a day.

However - I actually made it out of the supermarket with food and have planned the three meals a day thing for the week. And I will call the doctor tomorrow. And now that work is not going to be insane I plan on getting out at lunch for a walk and if not then, definitely after work for a while. What I need is someone to kick my ass for not doing it really. A really mean (free) personal trainer lol.

Regardless - this is where we are at and I will see you all next sunday. Good luck Ben and Lexi and V :hug:
  9. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

Is this the famous coleslaw diet I have been hearing so much about lu? :eek:

Best of luck guys, you can do it. :hug:
  10. Cpt-Fantastic

Cpt-Fantastic Banned Member

my goal is a bmi of 25. I've been striving for this a big part of my life but since january actually started doing some good progress on it. I had a plan to cut my daily intake by 500 and exercise for an hour to burn another 500 calories and in that way burn 1000 calories a day (7000 calories equal 1 kilo of fat so would cut a kilo of fat a week, 52 kilo's a year and in that way calculate when i would be ready)
    By the calculations I should have been at my goal weight but I didn't follow the plan. I didn't mind my calories but I did try to exercise. I had joined a gym and since january 14th I regularly visited (usually every weekday and the weekend I only went to catch up what I missed out during the week.) I would go on the rowtrainer for 10.000 meters every day in effect burning 560 kcal. I am now no longer obese but still haven't met my goal.
    But I did lose so much that I am no longer obese. I am joining a new gym again soon and hope to continue on this plan so that I can reach my goal of a BMI of 25 by the end of this year.
    The change has been immeasurable, not only in like pants sizes and stuff but the main thing has been how people react to me. Especially the female attention is something I have to adjust to. I'm not used to it so I need to find the right way to handle it. It is like becoming famous all of a sudden, you have to learn to deal with the paparazzi i suppose, I even had marriage proposals.. Shit is ridiculous. If things keep up I might plan on putting the weight back on (and then some...) so that at least I won't be bothered by stuff like that too much anymore.
    I'm just bothered by the fact that when you are down there is nobody for you, and when you are succesfull suddenly everybody wants to be your friend. I'm the same guy, why did everybody change how you treated me?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
  11. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I've finally faced the dreaded scales....

Current weight 16st 5lbs.
    Goal weight 10st.

I'm getting myself ,ore active. I'm off to my allotment tomorrow... daily trips there. Do work so I am excersizing more.
  12. NYJmpMaster

Well I had a lousy 2 weeks - want to lose 2o and gained 2 :/ -- have not done walking or much of anything else

Good luck V - i know you are able to do it if you put you mind to it. Cpt - I do not know why people treat you differently but stick to your goals and choose your friends as you like and forget the rest.

TC all
  13. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I dread to think how much I weigh this week. Stress and anti-psychotics = piling on the pounds