Weight loss surgery

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by MrB79, Nov 30, 2017.

1. MrB79

MrB79 Well-Known Member

Any bariatric patients here? I'm almost nine years post op, having gone from 300 to 167. The past few years I've gained 50 and want to lose it. Any advice?
  2. Zonkers

Zonkers Some days you just need someone to lean on.

Hi MrB79,

I am (geez) 14 years post op, can’t believe it’s been that long.

I too had a regain but eventually losing it. Mountain Dew is my downfall, I can’t put it down. I also have poor eating habits. I never experienced dumping so I continued eating what I wanted. Somehow, I still managed to lose over 200 pounds to my lowest.

My advice, watch what you eat and the amount you eat cause your tool will still work. Also, adding exercise if you haven’t.

Good luck to you.
    MrB79 likes this.
  3. MrB79

MrB79 Well-Known Member

Hi, Zonkers.

Congratulation to you. That is no easy feat. Thank you for your advice, :)
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

wow you both have lost amazing amounts of lbs. I was considering getting an op to reduce my weight but decided against it for a number of reasons. I'm around 300lbs. It's awful being this weight, not just for physical appearance but health in general. I have started a healthy eating regime and plan to stick to it this time round. Well done to both of you, ye're incredibly :) way to go.
    MrB79 likes this.
  5. MarkahMalady

MarkahMalady Well-Known Member

I've known 5 people that had bariatric bypass, they all gained back significant weight. Is there not dietician/nutritional assistance offered post op and long term? My friend's little sister started gaining again less than a year after her surgery. If these bariatric patients have real emotional eating issues or addiction or whatever, a surgery may not solve their problem in the long run.
    At least if you've gained back a bit, it shouldn't be such an insurmountable feat as losing 100 or more lbs would have been. :) Good luck in your efforts!
    MrB79 and Petal like this.
  6. thatguy67

thatguy67 Member

Wow congrats on the weight loss I went from 320 to 200 naturally I would never do gastric bypass but there’s nothing wrong it weight loss is almost completely calories in vs calories out I still ate a lot of the food I loved while losing weight I just ate a lot less I would recommend finding an online calorie calculator and finding out how many calories you should be consuming daily according to your height and weight that’s how I did it counting calories can be a hassle and tedious but I promise it works if you are eating the proper calories and still not losing weight then there is an underlying issue with your health
    Petal, MrB79 and MarkahMalady like this.