Weird science: Kitty litter increases risk of suicide?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Chargette, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

2. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

It's associated with schizophrenia???

You mean to tell me my beloved cats are causing my undoing?
  3. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Just to play devil's advocate here... two things:

One, isn't it possible that depressed people are just more likely to own lots of cats in the first place?

And two, depression has been known to take a toll on your body's immune system... isn't it just as likely that being depressed makes someone more susceptible to contracting something like this?

Of course it's possible that any kind of infection can contribute to or even cause depression... but correlation does not necessarily imply causation.
  4. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

If 'they' knew what caused mental illness, 'they' could cure it! Medicine is still in the dark ages. In my long lifetime, I've seen coffee and tea be the cause of cancer and then turned around decades later as being miracle cures for everything. I've seen French fries go from being the most unhealthy thing you could eat to being considered a 'vegetable' by the gov. This is over decades. 'Modern' medicine only started in the 40s with the discovery of penicillin. Before that, everybody died young unless they were lucky. We're still guinea pigs and especially if you have 'mental illness' in others' eyes. The stigma from centuries about 'mental illness' unfortunately still exists and more $$ is diverted to more 'urgent' causes like cancer and HIV. I'll bet the study had about 30-50 people, it was somebody's graduate thesis funded by the feds and conjecture. Don't worry-next week it will be something else.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  5. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Lol, well put. And I concur. This is why I don't generally put a lot of faith in doctors and medical science.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.