Well I Got Caught

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Godsdrummer, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

So yesterday was payday at my part time job! Woohoo!!!!

And just in the nick of time too. I really need to get groceries.

So off I went to Walmart to buy my much needed supplies. And...well...this alcoholic boy found his way to the beer cooler, and without any hesitation, put a 12 pack of beer in my cart, and continued my shopping.

As I was finishing up, who do I run into, but my Doctor.

He didnt say anything about the beer, however.....he is my wife's boss. Pretty sure that is going to get back to her today.

I feel like I dissapointed her. Even though I shouldnt care since afterall, she left me.

I have been off to the races now for sometime. And the thing is, I know I need to stop drinking at night, but I dont want to. I like beer, alot. And it helps to pass the time away of my lonely life.

But it is affecting my physical health. So I know I need to stop.

Damn alcohol. It is my best friend and my worst enemy all in one. :sad:

2. KJAB

KJAB Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

The only thing I can't resist is temptation. Right. Am I gonna tell you to quit the booze? Nope. Just maybe don't beat yourself up too much that's all. That's not saying it's ok. By the way, I ate a packet of digestive biscuits and 4 Aero bars last night while my wife was out slogging a weekly grocery shop. I feel terrible about that, I'm getting fat and everyone notices. I dunno, try again?
    Good luck cutting down / out.

3. Carcinogen

Carcinogen Well-Known Member

If he says anything to your wife, just sue him for breach of patient confidentiality. Either that or **** *** ** *** ******** (can't say, not allowed to encourage violence). The sensible part of me recommends the former.

4. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

This post just reminded me of a similar experience I had.

About 6 years ago, I got a DUI. I was court ordered to attend a once weekly substance abuse class for 7 weeks in order to get my licence back.
    During the time period I was enrolled in the class, I was at the liquor store one night, and wouldn't ya know it, I run into my teacher from the class. The week prior I had stated in class that I'd been sober since my DUI(i was lying of course)

Needless to say, that was a very awkward situation.

5. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Thanks guys!

I will prolly go with my tail between my legs back to AA.

6. levitated-one

levitated-one Well-Known Member

It's funny how people get addicted to alchohol, because I hate alchohol, I don't drink.
    I was doing a variety of drugs before, and I prefer drugs than alchohol, not a big fan of alchohol.
    But with drugs there are many problems associated to it.. so I quit it. It's easy to quit alchohol.. just associate it with something bad..see alchohol as a bad experience, recollect all the bad experiences you had with alchohol, instead of seeing it as a reward. Then you will slowly quit.

As soon as something takes control of you.. it's your enemy, not your friend. I was a gambler.. it controlled me, so it's my enemy, not my friend. I had to abandon the shitty friend..goodbye.

7. nevertheanswer

nevertheanswer Active Member

That's good, levitated-one. Abandon those things that will only make things more complicated. That's a great step to take into getting a better life.

To anyone, remember that the first step into fighting addiction is acknowledging that you have the problem. After that, all you need is the will to change.

8. soapymongoose

soapymongoose Well-Known Member

You can't generalise addictions, it's not that easy if you like it so much you get to the point you know little else, but the logic is laudable :)

9. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

If it was that easy to quit alcohol there wouldn't be millions of people attending AA meetings every day.

10. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

It is not in any way your friend. It is a crutch that cripples you.

And passing the time of your lonely life isn't a good excuse either. I haven't touched a drop in 15 years and I've also been alone for all those years.

Drinking just isn't worth it. Not one bit. Even though I learned my lesson I only wish I had learned it sooner. You need too learn yours. Think of all you've lost and all you've wasted with alcohol. And what have you gained? NOTHING. It's a waste of time and a HUGE waste of money.

To quit you didn't need AA, classes, treatment, or a therapist. You need one thing. The ONLY thing that really does it. You need to get sick of it. You need to think of all the bad things that come with drinking. Everything you've lost and all the pain you've caused. You need to think of those things every time before you have that first drink.

And no. You can't start to drink different. You can't become one of those people that can have just one or two drinks and be in control of it. You know that. If you could you would already be doing it.

You've had plenty of days you didn't drink and were just fine. Time to make it everyday. And you'll be fine. And much better off.

11. soapymongoose

soapymongoose Well-Known Member

This may sound controversial but I actually love drinking. Sure by starting at aged 13/14 I've now the physical "drawbacks" to contend with 15 years later but I know I've had a lot of fun and wouldn't actually change anything. I've abstained for months at a time in the past. I've met people. I've developed relationships with people, not purely based on alcohol consumption but it's played a big part building those relationships, I'm a great believer in the notion that substances merely enhance a person, never change them so I use them as such, thereby making it almost a relationship. This way I can be in control a lot more often than not. It is after all (in a lot of circles) a socially accepted thing to do and, outside of the excessive nature of my personality, this is the attitude I try to convey.

It won't work forever, but what is forever?

12. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

A diamond.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.