Well---it finally happened--I've been terminated

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
For those who've followed my saga over the last year....it is over...I was terminated yesterday effective March 2nd...it was done by assistant city manager while new director was out of town....she comes back Thursday...seeing union person this am to learn what options are...as therapist thinks should look into medical leave if an option so not there...but part of me wants to leave the mess I call my office in half way decent shape...and to top it off I have to work Saturday and Sunday at historic house...as my professional integrity wont allow me to do anything different...will finish up two tasks while there...and then consider what else should do...

Going from feelings of relief for it to be over, anger that this has all happened, and overwhelming feelings of depression/anxiety...then denial...basically all over the map I guess...still no tears as I never cry however much I want to...

Husband is being as supportive as he can be...he canceled all loan arrangements etc. for house we were set to buy as had thought a more optimistic corner had been turned with new director...but there is the financial reality that as the primary breadwinner I have to get a new job...figure out health insurance...figure out best options and start a new page of this journey of my life with no road map for the first time in my life---in the end I guess I am terrified to be honest---

Dawn

I have followed this although I don't know if I posted before. I just want to tell u I am sorry to hear this and I know it is scary. I hope so much that u get a better job that u like more than this one and where there is not turmoil, but a peaceful environment. U sure do deserve it.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I am so sorry you are going through this. I can understand how scary it must feel right now for you. I'll be keeping everything crossed that as that door closes another much better one will open for you. You deserve happiness. Sending hugs x

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Am sorry that this happened. Maybe fates has you working at a different place for a good reason.

Got a whole month to look and apply for other jobs in the meanwhile on the flip side.

Believe in you and you can do it

Sorry to hear this Kiwi, though being out of that place may be the best thing for you in the long run

I was terminated yesterday effective March 2nd...it was done by assistant city manager while new director was out of town....she comes back Thursday
You may want to talk to the director about this. I don't see what the need would be for an assistant manager to take an action like this if the director is coming back Thursday. It's not like it was an emergency.

Do you know at what date you'd be eligible for retirement, and how this might effect your retirement benefits?
You deserve happiness
Seconded

Angel368

Thinking of you during this challenging time. Glad you have husband, counsellor and union rep to lean on, stay strong and you figure out next steps.

Kiwi, I know the mixed emotions there. I got unceremoniously canned back in August. I hated the job but I was the sole means of support in the home.

But it prompted me to make major life changes that seem to look pretty good in the long run - once I get out of Wisconsin. Lol.

So you are in my thoughts and prayers. Let's believe that this is a good thing!

Hugs

Kiwi2016

SF Pro
Thanks @PhoenixLady @DrownedFishOnFire @may71 @Angel368 @Sunday16 @jxdama @A guy with feelings ...all your words of support mean so much...and yes thanks to all of you and everyone here know that i am not alone...and feel fortunate as well to have a supportive husband and a therapist...as discovering this is not easy...but union got them to agree to retirement...will believe it when actually sign papers on monday...but feeling a bit calmer...still terrified and worried about future but thanks to all know will somehow get tbrough it...you guys here are simply amazing....thank you.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Whew. Just know that I'm thinking of you. We're talking about this elsewhere but for what it's worth, I'm here. Sorry. (what a dumb thing to say, I guess)

Kiwi2016

SF Pro
Well my saga continues...now the seller of the house that we were going to buy but needless to say had to cancel given new circumstances has called where I work and probably HR as well as doesn't believe we have to cancel so now have to face HR dealing with this...I do understand their being angry but we were still in escrow so hoping this gets resolved without a lawsuit or something... announced retiring at staff ...thinking that was a mistake despite union and hr said was ok to do it...so now second guessing that choice...dreading facing director on Thursday...and just living in fear that they wont honor the retirement at end of month...all in all I'm basically a mess but still standing so I guess that counts for something...sorry to rant everyone...just feeling overwhelmed will admit as haven't really had even time to process this all internally as trying to deal with all the details involved with retiring but not by choice in 19 days---setting up health insurance, dealing with loss of house, setting up retirement pension and deferred comp so don't get hit with taxes, dealing with day to day work stuff which continues and think of things have to do to get things as organized as I can before I leave so at least still have a shred of my personal and professional integrity intact despite this all...so in a few words am overwhelmed, exhausted, depressed, anxious, demoralized...

nobodyknows71

For a Phoenix to rise, it must first burn.
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
@Kiwi2016 I’ve only just seen this. I’m so sorry that it’s finally come to this. But I’m holding out hope that director agrees to retirement. As for the house situation hopefully that will get resolved soon too.

I wish there wa a way to help you. Just know that I’m here for you as I have been from the beginning of this saga.
You never know... maybe this could be a good thing in the long term as they made it impossible for you to work there. Hopefully you’ll find a new job soon.

Keep your chin up. This is NOT your doing it’s theres. It’s also their loss.

Keep us updated.

Love and hugs x

Dear Kiwi, we haven't spoken before but I have just read this thread. My heart goes out to you for this upheaval, life can be so hard - please stay strong and I'm sending you all my biggest wishes for a good outcome / and a great new road to walk down xxxxx

Kiwi2016

SF Pro
@Kiwi2016 I’ve only just seen this. I’m so sorry that it’s finally come to this. But I’m holding out hope that director agrees to retirement. As for the house situation hopefully that will get resolved soon too.

I wish there wa a way to help you. Just know that I’m here for you as I have been from the beginning of this saga.
You never know... maybe this could be a good thing in the long term as they made it impossible for you to work there. Hopefully you’ll find a new job soon.

Keep your chin up. This is NOT your doing it’s theres. It’s also their loss.

Keep us updated.

Love and hugs x
Thanks...your support means so much...

Kiwi2016

SF Pro
Dear Kiwi, we haven't spoken before but I have just read this thread. My heart goes out to you for this upheaval, life can be so hard - please stay strong and I'm sending you all my biggest wishes for a good outcome / and a great new road to walk down xxxxx
Thanks...knowing not alone in all this because of SF family is giving me couage to go on...

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00