well so far this site has only made me feel worse

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Bleak, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Bleak

Bleak Member

I wonder if anybody else feels more suicidal and depressed because of self help/suicide hotline/counseling type things..
  2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Are you seeing a doctor? Keep posting, it'll help a lot. :hug:
  3. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Not really.

I just can't stand it when people talk to me like I'm some fragile pussy.

Makes me want to punch them out.
  4. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

I think ive gotten alot worse since coming here. But who knows, maybe it was under the surface all the time, just ready to explode like a wave of depression and suicidial thoughts.
  5. TaraB3ar

TaraB3ar Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about this site, I think its great that you can pretty much always find at least one person here who can understand how you feel. And everyone here is incredibly friendly and tries to lift up everyone else, which is great to see, its just saddening that we can all do that for everyone else but not ourselves. Also the other thing about this site that makes me sad is some of the attitudes on here. I can understand that people come here when they're at their last thread, but I hate when I see people posting about how they're so down and ready to end their lives but they wont accept help. or wont tell anyone how they feel, wont take medicine, or push away those that do care. Its scary and hard but I wish the idea of suicide wasn't easier than help :/
  6. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

This site sometimes makes me feel better, but more often than not it makes me feel like it would be okay to take my life because there are so many people in the same situation, talking about suicide openly as if it weren't a big deal. I think if I didn't frequent this forum then I would have stopped my suicidal feelings and tried to put it out of mind instead of coming here for comfort and to dwell on my feelings with the crowd. I no longer make "I want to die' threads because I know the standard responses will be 1)Sorry you feel this way 2)Are you on medication/seeing a therapist 3) Don't kill yourself 4) Keep posting here and 5)I feel the same way. There may be a 6th response but I can't think of it. These responses are needed however. There is also different responses than these of course, but thats only if a member puts in the effort for some proper advice or helpful words.

I dislike how some people here think that its okay to take their lives and it won't matter if they're dead. I know this is a standard thought amongst suicidal people, and shows that they aren't thinking clearly, but it seems to encourage these thoughts by expressing it so bluntly. Everytime I come here I have to make an extra effort to remember that if I did kill myself everyone I know would be distraught about it and that it hurts them more than it helps me. I also try to remind people how it would hurt their family and friends if they did kill themselves, but I think this only makes them, and the readers, feel more guilty. Nevertheless I think they need to hear it, as this may be the one thing that stops them from going through with it.

Despite these things, I think this site is more of a help than a hindrance, because it reminds people they are not alone in their suffering and that there are good and kind people there to help. I think it's better to suffer in a group than to suffer alone. It would be great if there were one or two professional suicide counselors here if there isn't already, who could help members through their problems with solid professional advice. As far as I know I haven't come across one, and if there is none then we are in dire need of one, or a few.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009