Went to a friend's house for the first time. Heard a racial slur.

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by eagles_fan, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eagles_fan

eagles_fan Well-Known Member

Today I went to my best friend's house for the first time for his birthday party.

It made me really uncomfortable hearing the word "spic" being uttered by a couple of my best friend's family members and friends. I thought it was really awkward, especially since there were no Hispanics in the room. Everyone there was black. After meeting all of these nice people for the first time, it really irked me hearing that word being tossed around. I think I heard one of them say that Hispanics were all "violent" or some such. It utterly surprised me and made me a little uncomfortable with them.

Right after coming home, I sent my friend a message on Facebook about it. He has not replied to it yet, but I hope he will tomorrow. I hope he will continue to be my best friend. He really should, considering our past relationship. He's a really cool guy, and I didn't hear the word come out of his mouth. I didn't bring it up with him at the party.

Honestly, other than that, I had a great time. Still the use of that racial slur has alarmed me. I really hope his whole family isn't racist against Hispanics.

It's just so ignorant to be racist or hate any group.

2. Mr. E

Mr. E Well-Known Member

That is very surprising. Not sure where you live, but Latinos and Blacks have a good deal of cultural overlap in my experience, making comments such as these seem especially unusual. Racism is everywhere, sadly, but it isn't acceptable in any context. I'd be just as taken aback as you were for people expressing these type of views so frankly in the presence of a guest. Let us know what your friend says, hope all remains well between you two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.