Went to my first counseling session today, need some feedback.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HomerSimpson, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

Well today I went to my first counseling session, and I hope you guys can give me some advice and opinions on it.

She was nice, and I guess I was able to pretty much open up to her. I admitted my suicidal feelings, the panic attacks I have been having, feeling like I am the loneliest person in the world and other things. In some ways it seemed she was herself making up stuff so she could relate with me. Has anyone ever had that happen before? Also, after I mentioned the suicide and panic attacks I thought she would send me to a psychiatrist so he could put me on somekind of medication. Is it normal that she did not, or normally do they wait and see how things progress before they put you on any medication?

The one thing I feared did happen, and I did not like. I think I asked her why do I feel like this, and her response was "Because you do not have God in your life". She said I could have either christian counseling or I forgot what she called the other, but it is counseling without religion being involved. But she did say if I chose the christian counseling over the other that I would become better much faster than if I chose the other. What do you guys think about this part, please give me some advice on it. She gave me like a home work sheet with things I need to do, and one of them was go to church.

Tell me what you think. Should I give it another try? Should I just be upfront and say I do not want the christian counseling. She brought up the bible a few times. Thanks everyone.

2. aki

aki Well-Known Member

That's really innapropriate :eek:hmy: I think you should get another counselor if you want non christian counseling.

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Hm. It might be difficult to get to the root of your problems if she is just sending you home to read Bible verses. If she is helping you though then give it a couple more times. Is this the free counseling you were talking about? If it's free then you've got nothing to lose really.

4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I find it disgusting that those churchies would take advantage of depressed people like that, trying to recruit them into their religion/church.

5. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

I think it was inappropriate - did you go along knowing that it was counselling based around religion? If you went under the belief that this was simply normal counselling then the subject should not have been pushed on you...

What now? Well if you don't believe in religion etc then you should find someone else perhaps and definately tell her that it is not your cup of tea. Religion should not be pushed onto unwilling or unwanting recipients...

6. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Are you a practicing Christian?

7. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

It is a christian counseling, BUT when I called to get information I asked was it, and they said it is only if you want it to be and only if you ask for it and bring it up. I never did. The only time I brought religion into it was when I mentioned a friend of mine who went back to her abusive husband, because everyone told her she was a sinner.

I belive in God, but do not belive in organized religion, nor do I belive in Give yourself to God and you will not be alone and have problems. Like I said I told her I felt completely alone, since my best friend (the woman being abused) went back to her husband, and says "friends will always come and go, but God will always be there.

I was under the belief it was normal counseling unless I wanted it to be Christian counseling. I chose this place because they work with you concerning no insurance and having no job or money. My sessions are 1 hour and only 25 dollars.

Please keep giving me some feedback and opinions, because I do not have anyone to share this with. I am literally a 35 yo man crying. I know I am pathetic.

8. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Well you obviously have to be clear that you don't wish to have Christian counselling as a first course of action as it's making you so uncomfortable. As to some of the things she said, my first counsellor was a person centred counsellor and she sounds the same, and one of their things is to empathy and sharing of their own experiences. This is very different from psychologists who often do the 'blank wall' effect or psychiatrists whose main job is to prescribe medication. I'm not sure how your health service works but private counsellors here do not have the means to refer you to psychiatrists... they could only encourage you to go to your gp who would then have to do that. If you feel you need medication it's a psychiatrist you're going to have to gain access to.

9. KJAB

KJAB Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I think if you believe in God, good on ya, it WILL be easier to get 'better' or well. But to me, believing in God means having hope? Depression or being depressed /feeling worthless, robs you of that. So I would suggest you opt for "non-god counselling". I ended up with a counsellor also with whom it became obvious that 'spirituality' or 'god' was her thing. It simply left me numb as I felt if this is what it takes, then I have no hope 'cause god is not / won't help me, and thus EVERYTHING she said I thought was pointless because of where she was coming from. I would recommend, at least initially, a 'practical' approach counselling; later you can investigate the spiritual side of your life if you like. Good luck

10. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Yes, sometimes it can feel a therapist is making stuff up to relate as some of them have not experienced the exact same things you feel. Since it was christian counseling you went it it wasnt unethical what she suggested. Although I believe faith is important, I think you are better off going with a standard therapist. Also I am glad she didnt send you to a psych right off to get meds. Give it a few months at least before you decide on if you want drugs, it is a big decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.