Went to my second counseling session.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HomerSimpson, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

I just went to my second counseling session. Here is the post to my first session....http://www.suicideforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4&order=desc&page=2

Well this time she did not bring up religion at all, and I am glad she did not because as I mentioned before I just do not want any religious counseling. When do you know if you are making progress, or if you should find another counselor? I mean I have no reference so I just do not know. Nothing of great deal was said so I am not sure what to tell you guys. She did recommend that I should go to a doctor or psychiatrist and get on some type of anti-depressant, that way I would be working on my problems from two differnet points...counseling and medication.

For anyone on anti-depressants did you go see a doctor or a psychiatrist. I know to see a psychiatrist I can go to the mental health center, which would be cheaper than seeing a doctor since I do not have any insurance. Like I mentioned though, when do you know if you should try someone else or what?
  2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I sort of get a good feel right off the bat or a bad one. Sounds like this one may not work but I think it is worth a try and for sure keep this one till you find another...I made the mistake of screwing that up once.

I go to a psychiatrist for meds once a year-they suck for counseling if you ask me. I have found the best work was done with a psychologist as family counselors just don't have the training to deal with major crap.

It takes a few weeks and it does have its ups and downs but I would not be alive today without therapy.
    hope this helped.
  3. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

The first few weeks of my therapist seemed useless, because I didn't talk, or want to talk(so it may take a little more time). Well getting better can also be affected if you like the therapist or not. If you get this view that this therapist is being judgmental or something else you don't like the chances of you openning up for her to solve anything is slim. So if you really was bugged by her bringing up religion in the first session might affect you opening up to her.
    If you can see a Psych, for cheaper than a doctor that would def be the way to go. Usually, going to a GP to get anti-depressants is because people can't find or afford a psych, or don't know how to get one. But either way they can both prescribe the anti-depressants, just a Psych would have focus'd his whole study on the effects of anti-depressants and how they would, where as a GP would just have spent a few classes in pharamacology to see what they do.
  4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

2 times? I started seeing my counselor back in August of last year and I'm just beginning to see progress. It takes a while! :hug:
  5. HomerSimpson

HomerSimpson Well-Known Member

A friend of mines doctor gave him like a months supply of Lexapro, but he did not want them so he gave them to me a while back. I was wondering if I should just start taking them, and not even go see a doctor or psychiatrist to get a prescription. I know you can buy generic version online without a prescription. So what do you think? If they do not work I could than go see one and get put on something else.

Honetly, I am so afraid to take anything.
  6. Tavil

Tavil Well-Known Member

Im glad your seeing one and getting good help. :)

I wish i could see one but i dont have health insurance. I could never afford one.
  7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I wouldn't suggest taking Lexapro without a prescription. Sometimes these drugs take a couple weeks just to start working, and then you'll be out.
  8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Please don't take any medications without a prescription. Its dangerous.

Also, counselling can take months to show an improvement, I'd give it another while if I were you and if it's not helping by then try something different. x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.