Went to VA hospital

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by mpk, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Long story short I went to VA hospital as I was approved for hardship medical yet I have to re file my financials in 02-17 and if it turns out that I should not have received help then I would have to repay all medical back to them. Well needless to say this has caused an incredible amount of stress.
    Yet on the good side the doctor has given me Prozac in 20mg form to start taking. So I guess I should be thankful that in the short term I am getting help with the depression and thoughts yet for some damn reason I keep obsessing about whether I am going to have a humongous medical bill owed to the government waiting for me in 2017.

Fading_Awayy likes this.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

*hugs* At least you have started on a medication and hope things continue to improve for you. I don't understand how insurance works over there so i'm not going to pretend I do lol, but wanted to wish you the best of luck for now and the future.

3. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you Petal. When I retired I no longer had insurance. As I am a Veteran I applied for hardship medical through the Veterans Administration Hospital and was approved because my income was significantly reduced yet I received a letter that I had to re file my financials in 02-17 at which time they will look at what income me and the wife had and determine if I would have to repay every cent owed to VA back. This has caused stress as I stated as right now I believe we may be over income, hopefully not.
    Yet as I stated I guess I can cross that bridge when I have to.
    In the US medical the indigent can get most medical free yet for those of us that are still in the middle class it costs a bunch monthly with extremely high deductible that has to be paid before insurance is paid. The bottom line is you will never truly meet the deductible before the insurance will pay anything.

4. Petal

Ah I see. That sure does sound very stressful. Cross that bridge when you get to it and in the meantime focus on getting yourself well. I wish you well and best of luck on prozac :)

5. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you Petal. I am going to try and relax and not worry about whether I will have to repay the VA or not for all the medical care in 2016.

6. Petal

You are most welcome, you deserve things to pan out okay. I hope they do and if not we're here for support. May I ask what the worst case scenario is? Would it be a LOT of money?

7. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hey Mpk, this angers me that veterans are treated like this by the government after serving their country. You didn't need any more stressors than you already have. I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but glad you got an antidepressant.
    Take care my friend.
    Brian

8. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

What an ordeal you have, mpk. Very sorry for you. And my sympathy for you is genuine because I had to experience the same crisis a while back when I almost lost my social security benefits for my disability. Now that I have them restored again, that makes me see that whatever other problem I have now is small compared to what would have happened, had I lost those benefits.

9. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your kind words. The worst that could happen if not found to have been eligible for VA medical is I would have to repay the full cost of all medical services provided which as you know in the US is quite expensive yet I will try not to worry about until if and when it happens. Yet that is easier said than done.
    Have taken the first Prozac today, hope they work.

Brian777 likes this.
  10. Brian777

Hey Mpk, I was on Prozac many years ago and they worked really well for me, the only reason I changed was that after so much time they begin to lose their effect. So I'm think they may make a huge difference in how you feel, probably take a few days to kick in, but if I remember they worked pretty fast when I started them. I'm really glad you got some help with medication. Feeling better will make a big difference in your outlook. I'm just getting ready to go to my psychiatrist appointment this morning, a little anxious about it. Don't like going to new doctors. Anyway glad to hear about the medication and still hoping the job becomes yours too.
    Brian

11. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you Brian for your kind words. I did get an email about the job today and I was not invited to move forward in the process. It is a disappointment yet I am going to try and not dwell on it. I am going to try and let go of the negative yet it is easier said than done.
    Good luck with your appointment this morning.

12. Brian777

I'm sure that something will turn up, maybe when you get the depression under control with your meds. We'll keep our fingers crossed and you have the right attitude, it will work out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.