Western troops accused of executing 10 Afghan civilians, including children

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Bob26003, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob26003

    Bob26003 Well-Known Member

    American-led troops were accused yesterday of dragging innocent children from their beds and shooting them during a night raid that left ten people dead.

    Afghan government investigators said that eight schoolchildren were killed, all but one of them from the same family. Locals said that some victims were handcuffed before being killed.

    Western military sources said that the dead were all part of an Afghan terrorist cell responsible for manufacturing improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which have claimed the lives of countless soldiers and civilians.

    “This was a joint operation that was conducted against an IED cell that Afghan and US officials had been developing information against for some time,” said a senior Nato insider. But he admitted that “the facts about what actually went down are in dispute”.


    The allegations of civilian casualties led to protests in Kabul and Jalalabad, with children as young as 10 chanting “Death to America” and demanding that foreign forces should leave Afghanistan at once.

    President Karzai sent a team of investigators to Narang district, in eastern Kunar province, after reports of a massacre first surfaced on Monday.

    “The delegation concluded that a unit of international forces descended from a plane Sunday night into Ghazi Khan village in Narang district of the eastern province of Kunar and took ten people from three homes, eight of them school students in grades six, nine and ten, one of them a guest, the rest from the same family, and shot them dead,” a statement on President Karzai’s website said.

    Assadullah Wafa, who led the investigation, said that US soldiers flew to Kunar from Kabul, suggesting that they were part of a special forces unit.

    “At around 1 am, three nights ago, some American troops with helicopters left Kabul and landed around 2km away from the village,” he told The Times. “The troops walked from the helicopters to the houses and, according to my investigation, they gathered all the students from two rooms, into one room, and opened fire.” Mr Wafa, a former governor of Helmand province, met President Karzai to discuss his findings yesterday. “I spoke to the local headmaster,” he said. “It’s impossible they were al-Qaeda. They were children, they were civilians, they were innocent. I condemn this attack.”

    In a telephone interview last night, the headmaster said that the victims were asleep in three rooms when the troops arrived. “Seven students were in one room,” said Rahman Jan Ehsas. “A student and one guest were in another room, a guest room, and a farmer was asleep with his wife in a third building.

    “First the foreign troops entered the guest room and shot two of them. Then they entered another room and handcuffed the seven students. Then they killed them. Abdul Khaliq [the farmer] heard shooting and came outside. When they saw him they shot him as well. He was outside. That’s why his wife wasn’t killed.”

    A local elder, Jan Mohammed, said that three boys were killed in one room and five were handcuffed before they were shot. “I saw their school books covered in blood,” he said.

    The investigation found that eight of the victims were aged from 11 to 17. The guest was a shepherd boy, 12, called Samar Gul, the headmaster said. He said that six of the students were at high school and two were at primary school. He said that all the students were his nephews. In Jalalabad, protesters set alight a US flag and an effigy of President Obama after chanting “Death to Obama” and “Death to foreign forces”. In Kabul, protesters held up banners showing photographs of dead children alongside placards demanding “Foreign troops leave Afghanistan” and “Stop killing us”.

    Hekmatullah, 10, a protester, said: “We’re sick of Americans bombing us.” Samiullah Miakhel, 60, a protester. said: “The Americans are just all the time killing civilians.”

    Nato’s International Security Assistance Force said that there was “no direct evidence to substantiate” Mr Wafa’s claims that unarmed civilians were harmed in what it described as a “joint coalition and Afghan security force” operation.

    “As the joint assault force entered the village they came under fire from several buildings and in returning fire killed nine individuals,” he said.

    • Eight Americans were killed in an attack in eastern Afghanistan yesterday (Jerome Starkey writes). Nato’s International Security Assistance Force said that the dead were not uniformed soldiers. Afghan sources said that they were civilians killed in a suicide attack on a compound in Khost province. The US Embassy in Kabul said: “Eight Americans have been killed in an attack on RC-East,” referring to the military region of eastern Afghanistan that includes 14 provinces.

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/Afghanistan/article6971638.ece
     
  2. Prinnctopher's Belt

    Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

  3. Chargette

    Chargette Well-Known Member

    War is ugly.
     
  4. morning rush

    morning rush Well-Known Member

    wow...for god's sake, children...they do what they are told geez...they didnt have to be executed...
     
  5. Tobes

    Tobes Well-Known Member

    I don't know how soldiers like these live with themselves.
     
  6. Mikeintx

    Mikeintx Well-Known Member

    Yes because it is impossible that someone else slaughtered those kids and then blamed it on troops.
     
  7. jhhop

    jhhop Well-Known Member

    The Taliban has been found to fabricate such situations for international sympathy.
     
  8. Tobes

    Tobes Well-Known Member

    Like who? The big bad Taliban boogeymen?

    Look at this. Granted, they are talking about 'accidental killings' but it still speaks of what is going on (Not directly related to OP's article).

    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f66_1223515331

    NOTE: If I am wrong and it wasn't the soldiers, I will happily eat my words.

    EDIT: Ignore that video, it doesn't really relate to the point of the discussion
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
  9. Mikeintx

    Mikeintx Well-Known Member

    interesting
     
  10. Tobes

    Tobes Well-Known Member

    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2010
  11. Hache

    Hache Well-Known Member

    The propoganda of war at its best
     
  12. nos nomed

    nos nomed Well-Known Member

    Goebbels released videos of supposed american and british soldiers killing children in ww2 it's nothing new.
    Disinformation is your enemies greatest ally.
    However I don't entirely put it past the poorly trained soldiers we have in america right now either. They have taimed down training so much that soldiers don't experience a true hell of stress anymore until they actually get into those situations so they don't know how to control emotions and become loose cannons. Also when you snap in fear of loosing your own life everyone looks like an enemy and all you can think is kill to survive.

    War is hell and for a good reason if you didn't have reminders of how horrific it was we would have wiped our race off the planet a long time ago.
     
  13. Zurkhardo

    Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

    I have a feeling that a lot more stories like this will surface out of Iraq and Afghanistan for years to come (not unlike in Vietnam and Korea). In most cases, there's no telling who's truly responsible.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.