• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

What’s Your Theory

bag_of_struggles

“Do you think he was powerless to the grip of circumstances, or could he have helped himself?”

so the movie is asking about a book specifically. I’ve never read it, but what are we do you think? Victims of circumstances or can we still help ourselves?

Not to leave a question unanswered I’d say I’m divided. I think our circumstances predispose us to a certain fate but nothing is certain unless we let it be, at least in terms of our actions.

(movie is The Ordinary People)

Nick

☆☆Still Ducking Fantastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
This is how I see it. There are things about me I cannot change. There are things in my life I cannot change. Those things are what they are. It doesn't render me powerless. While there are things I do not have control over, and things I cannot change, there are things I can.

I cannot change the way my brain is wired. I cannot change the things that happened to me in the past. I cannot change the behaviors of my biological family. I can choose to do things to improve my quality of life. I can choose to limit my time with people who treat me like dirt. I'm not powerless, I'm just not not all powerful.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$305.00
Goal
$255.00