What alcohol gives and takes away

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by crunchie, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crunchie

crunchie Well-Known Member

Alcohol seems to be a big issue for me. I´m not a traditional addict, I only drink occasionally. But when I do drink, I drink like there is no tomorrow, and I cant stop. I cant behave properly, and I wake up ashamed. Always the shame. I fell off again last night, and now my actions are haunting me.. My friends say I´m a fun drunk. I say I´m a horrible, unhappy person, who tries to hide behind the bottle. I act up. I do stupid things. I´m an ass.

I hate it. Alcohol gives me freedom, and takes away my dignity..
  2. paulhewson

paulhewson Well-Known Member

If you think you have an issue with it, stop completely. If you do have a problem with alcohol, it would be best to stop now, while you're young. Your odds for success will be better.
  3. crunchie

I do think the only way to fix me is to stop drinking. It makes my depression way worse, and it gives me only bad feelings..

4. paulhewson

paulhewson Well-Known Member

I know it may sound rediculous, because you hear it on this site all the time, but find a good couselor or therapist. Even if you don't like it, or don't think it's worth your time, it is worth trying.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

When you're acting out of character when you are drunk- have someone tape you. That's what my boyfriend did to me to make me give it up completely. I have not drank in months. Alcohol just doesn't agree with me at all. There's no such thing as 'just having a few' to people who want to get shitfaced drunk. Do what I did, give it up completely, now I wake up every morning without feeling ashamed half remembering what I did the night before, oh, and without the hangover!

Good luck :hug:
  6. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

You're right. It's impossible to stop at just a few.
  7. crunchie

It´s somehow nice to have people understand. I can make excuses for myself over and over, but the fact is, alcohol and I are a bad match. I think I´ll replace it with exercise..
    Not sure how to cope with parties without alcohol though.. Anyone have any good ideas? And should one pretend to drink to avoid the hassle about why you dont?
  8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

If you're worrying about what others think, what 'a lot' of Irish people say is -I'm on anti-biotics , I can't drink. :laugh: Or you could drink alcohol-free beer such as Becks? And yeah, it's always nice to have people understand :) Taking up exercise instead of drinking is great idea too! Way to get healthy and maintain a healthy weight :)
  9. tness

tness Well-Known Member

I have done many stupid things when I've been drunk. I took some actions after last summer.
    Had one drink on the new years eve with my father, and that's it.. Alcohol is no no for me now.
    And actually I feel okay with it.

You should try it for a while Crunchie. It makes things look in a different light.
  10. therapy_fan

therapy_fan Well-Known Member

I feel exactly the same way! think im gonna give up drinking completely now while i can, cause the ways things are going for me alcohol is not good for me. Im gonna try to learn to play the guitar again or something. Think that the key to stop drinking is to have something to do, so exercising sounds like a good idea! :) Ive come to the conclusion that my depression is mostly caused by my exessive drinking... At parties ive found that drinking non-alcoholic beer is a really good thing! dont know why but it just feels better when u can drink a beer or two even if its non-alcoholic! :)

Good luck
  11. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

True that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.