What am i doing here

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Choobie, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Choobie

Choobie Member

I'm glad i found this page in my time of need and i'm real thankful, but after reading alot of stories i'm wondering what am i doing here. I know i have probs myself but i can't stop thinking that i would be better of helping others instead of fixing myself
  2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Sometimes you help yourself while helping others.
    howardTX and Nautika like this.
  3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Its so much easier to help others than focusing on yourself but on the other hand learning more about ourselves reading or giving advice is invaluable lesson we can do for ourselves
    howardTX likes this.
  4. howardTX

howardTX Active Member

This is true. I know I have written some things on here before, looked back and thought, "Now why can't I take my own advise??" I think it shows that there is hope, that knowing what we go through can totally relate to someone else going through the same thing. It would be difficult for me to try and help someone what is an alcoholic because the only thing I am addicted to is ice cream. (which I can totally give up if I had... no wait, probably not. :) ) BUT when I come across someone who has depression, has adult ADD, is suicidal, I can basically say, "yes, I know how you feel. I have (am) there too." I totally don't have the answers but I can relate and have a meaningful conversation. I have a couple of friends that I have been able to share these feelings with because they have them too. We swore to each other that if things progress to the point of taking that final step, we could contact each other. I have been close to that point but oddly enough I didn't want to make that call because I didn't want to disappoint them. Is that a good reason? Guess I am still here so, possibly. I have to think that I would not want to get that type of call from someone who is 350miles away because it seems like that need to be a face to face conversation. (to me anyway.)