What are my options?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by resistance, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

As some of you guys are aware I'm off to College in September.

I used to work full-time but I've had to dramatically cut down my hours and as from the 1st September, I'll only be working every Friday for 3 hours and every other Tuesday.

My college hours are all over the place, I'm not in college all day every day, only an hour and a half Monday to Friday but they're in such time-slots I couldn't carry on with my shifts at work.

I am really worried about my income, if I didn't take the plunge and go into college this year I'd never do it, but my money goes into the house a lot of the time and I was confident I'd get a job with Home Care to make up my hours - but it depends if they got the hours to suit me.

What jobs can I apply for where I can pick my hours? Was thinking of looking into night jobs but I'd rather work days. Would I be intitled to any grants or benefits? Technically I'm in college full time, even though it's borderline at 16 hours.

I saw this - ALG (click) but it only applies to England (I'm in Wales). It's only £30 a week but I guess it would help!

I'm going to make an appointment with the Job Centre on Monday and see if they can help.

2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I'm not sure if its the same for college folks (I'm at uni full time), but at uni, we can get a loan for accommodation (everyone does by default), and some get grants based on their parents' income. Student Finance Wales. See if that's any help? :)

Having a word with your college would be a definite thing to do, too - they'll have all sorts of advice and places that can help you, I'd imagine :)

3. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

look into EMA if you're in the UK

4. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

ema is age related. if your over 18 i dont think you can get it

5. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

dont think it matters as long as you're in full time higher education-might be wrong, check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.