What are some good movies for depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
Sorry if this has been done before :3
Haven't found a thread for this myself yet

What are some good movies that make
you genuinely feel better about yoursef / life?
If only just for a little bit?

Silverpuddle

Some kind of geek
SF Author
SF Supporter
I watch nature documentaries. They're pretty and don't demand a lot from me emotionally. They also distract me from anything I might be anxious about.

Phteven

hmm it depends on the person really tbh, but i can give you my opinion on movies help me...

here are some that have helped cheer me up.

Stranger then fiction
Its all gone pete tong
any stupid comedy (like There's something about Marry or The Hangover)
but these are my preferences..as weird as they are...

sweep

dumb and dumber, with jim carrey. i use to put this on every night before i went to bed, so i could fall asleep to it. it was good to look up at random times and see what part of the film it was at. then my old pc broke down and i lost it cos it was saved to my hard drive :/

Last edited by a moderator:

lachrymose27

comedies.. laughter is good medicine... or movies that deal with the theme of hope or intersting documentaries.. stuff like

cashback, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, the hangover, babies, avatar

Fitzy

My cheer me up movies are
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
The Rocky Horror Show
Tootsie
Mama Mia (no men in drag!!!)
Annie
Nuns on the Run (more drag)

Seems_Perfect

These aren't the happiest films of the last 20 years but for some reason they make me feel better.

Fight Club
...because in public I act as confident as "Tyler Durden" when in reality I'm "Jack"...plus I'm always attracted to "Marla".

Good Will Hunting
...because I relate to not being able to trust anyone and building walls to not get hurt anymore.

Leaving Las Vegas
...because I relate to this movie more than any other.

duka

Recently watched The Butterfly Effect and felt good about myself after. It kind of reminded me how fickle life can be.

Others:

Groundhog Day
The Count of Monte Cristo
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
End of Days
Batman Begins

A bit of a strange list, to be sure. There are more I may think of later.

Stripe

Seems Perfect has beaten me to suggesting Fight Club, but I would also reccomend watching The Shawshank Redemption.

Not only is the film awesome, the tag line is "Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free".
It will cheer you up.

Crue-K

You should try Barfuss (barefoot), it is a really uplifting film with a little romance and a hint of innocent humour. It is however in German with subtitles.

LillMy8989

cartoon like disney is ThE medicine!;D others anime(candy, candy) so beautiful.

Then I like films including mentally illnesses, psych ward, being inunderstandable, lonely, 'fucked up'...
Makes me so much better folks are actually feels like I do, I wasn't alone. At least..

bluegrey

Antiquities Friend
I love "The Elephant Man" with John Hurt and Anthony Hopkins. It shows humanity at it's worst- those who exploited the horrifically deformed Joseph Merrick and humanity at it's finest- the people who gave Mr. Merrick dignity.

revoltra

I have a handfull of movies that I like depending on my mood, not really related to depression or anything though.

- Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Funny Face
- Ferris Buelers day off
- 500 days of summer
- Almost Famous
- The Wizzard of Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal