1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by wheresmysheep, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Depressed in SF

Depressed in SF Well-Known Member

2. HumanExMachina

HumanExMachina Pizza Spaceman Forum Pro

Before finally diving into the Amber series, I read his Jack of Shadows. One of his best, I think, but hard to say, they're all good:)

3. Ineluki

Ineluki The Storm King

Oh my gosh! Roger Zelazny.

I read the Amber series about 40 years ago. That would be a fun series to reread.

4. HumanExMachina

HumanExMachina Pizza Spaceman Forum Pro

It was probably around that long ago that I first tried to get into it. Usually for me to commit to a long series like Amber, it has to grab me right away, but for some reason it didn't click with me until recently.

5. MarkahMalady

MarkahMalady Well-Known Member

Nobody finishes that, that's the joke! I love David Foster Wallace though, you should try some of his other works. How far have you gotten in Infinite Jest?

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Making friends with anxiety.

By Sarah Rayner

7. Sunday16

Sunday16 Well-Known Member

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris - it's a book of light hearted, funny Christmas essays.

I'm on the last essay and then I'm going to start Slouching Toward Bethlehem by Joan Didion.

8. MarkahMalady

Omg I love David Sedaris! If you get an opportunity to see him do a reading you should totally check it out. He's a comic genius. :) He come to town here almost every year and it is such a treat.

Sunday16 likes this.
  9. BarryW

BarryW Well-Known Member

pg 415

10. MarkahMalady

That's about as far as I got. You can tell people are lying when they say that's their favorite book XD

11. BarryW

BarryW Well-Known Member

lol, I'll be sure to remember that and call people out on it :)

12. SleepySheep

SleepySheep Member

"It gets worse" by Shane Dawson its not like what it sounds but if you know who Shane is he's a funny person and I've been following his yd. channel for almost 7 to 8 years its a funny and great read

13. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Nobody

"Unloved: The True Story of a Stolen Childhood" by Peter Roche.
    Can't remember the last time I've been reading a book with such interest, I've started it 2 days ago, and I am finishing it today if I have time.

14. Daíthí

Daíthí Chat Pro SF Supporter

"What's wrong with eating people?" - Peter Cave
    It's about various philosophical quandaries, good for getting the mind working and providing alternative perspectives

15. Sunday16

Sunday16 Well-Known Member

Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion
    I read it in college 20 years ago as part of a journalism class and felt like it was time to revisit it. I'm enjoying it more the second time around.

16. Yukeli

Yukeli SF Supporter

The soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery.
    Octopuses are sooooo coool!!

17. Karmitkurmit

Karmitkurmit King of the Hedge SF Pro SF Supporter

"The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fu*<"

Seriously, read it. It's amazing.

18. The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution by Sean B. Carroll

19. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Im stilll halfway through re-reading dostoyevskys crime and punishment, then after that ive got a couple more terry pratchett books to read before i read the riverworld series again (itll be the fifth time ive read it lol)

Flying Fox likes this.
  20. crumbum

crumbum Well-Known Member

I'm reading the Book of Baruch.. an apocryphal Hebrew text from the post Roman occupation period.. but allegorical to the Babylonian exile period.

I'm also reading Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One by Joe Dispenza.. not so far in but it seems a lot to do with quantim physics and relation between thought and action as relates to energy and matter.. interesting so far.

I'm also reading (yea I read several books at the same time) Xenophon's bio of Cyrus the Great and also a little more intermittently Bancrofts History of the United States of America written in the 1830's I think.. I read that one slowest cause I want to savor it.

Brian777 likes this.