What benefits are you on?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by stinkymouse, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkymouse

stinkymouse Well-Known Member

This is mainly diected to the Uk members,but for the last 2 years ive been out of work ive been on incapacity benefit,£186 every two weeks,no council benefit cause of savings...so its pretty tough right now..
    What benifits are yoiu guys on?
  2. Buggsy2008

Buggsy2008 Well-Known Member

I'm on income support £147 every two weeks. Apparently i'm not eligable for incapacity. Even though i'm signed off on medical grounds (albeit mental not physical)
  3. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

I was on incapacity for a couple of years (mental health issues) but 'they' threw me off. In a strange way it was a relief as I hated the interactions I had to have with my G.P. to get the note signed every few weeks. I had the option to appeal as I think they made some mistakes but I let it go.

On J.S.A. now bit scared as if I'm made to take the wrong job I'll lose my head (I think) but for now it's cool.

Housing benefit and council tax too but I don't fel guilty as I worked for years and paid my dues.

After automatic deductions to top up rent I get about £45 a week to cover everything else (utility bills etc) and that ain't much but hey ho, I've got a roof over my head and a cold beer in the fridge.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

well I'm in the US but I've got medical insurance right now. My therapist isn't covered but I pay for her out of pocket. My medical insurance covers the psychiatrist visits and my meds though.
  5. AlexPeace

AlexPeace Active Member

I'm on Medicare & Medicaid,which covers everythig,so I'm grateful for that ,I do pay a small co-pay for my medications,which is only $40 or so a month.
  6. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I've just applied for Jobseeker's Allowance.
  7. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I'm still working & luckily Occupational Health have said that it's likely I would be covered under DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) as my depression has lasted over a year & requires medication long term to control my symptoms.

This means that any depression related sick absence that I have will not be counted towards any poor attendance procedures. It's a great relief as otherwise I'd probably be out the door by now. Anyone working in the UK really should look into it.
  8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Slim chance of getting that at the moment. The whole country will be looking for it soon, the way the economy is going :(

I'm going to apply for disability for depression.
  9. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

i get long term incapacity, no need for sick notes thank god...
    plus DLA.. mid rate care, low rate mobility but i am trying to get high rate both
    i get council tax and rent paid apart from a small bit. i find it v hard to manage tho, it is impossible to live alone and be on those benefits
  10. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Was approved last summer for disability (US). It's enough to pay the rent and a couple bills but not enough to cover all expenses. The disability was for acute depression but now am more depressed than ever cause I'm always behind. Sick of getting shut off notices from the utility companies.

11. IDKwhatIwant

IDKwhatIwant Well-Known Member

US - Florida

Ive been working over 2 years. havent been to a doctor in 3 years.

Im getting benefits this year. last year i couldnt afford them. I cant do a PPO cause I cant afford it, so Im doing an HSA. PPO would let me pay $35.00 or $55.00 and be able to do whatever is necessary for my health. but would cost me $80 a month. HSA is like a 401k where the company matches what I set aside for medical. Health saving account, I believe is what HSA is. with medical visits for GP at around $300 - $800 USDollars, and me saving $25.00 a month, Ill probably only see the doctor one time, and even if something is wrong, I wont be able to do anything about it...
  12. Stack

Stack Member

Does any one know what you have to do to prove your actively seeking employment with Jobseeker's Allowance in the uk?
  13. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Whatever the fuck you like mate.

Updating your CV.
    Checking Job pages in local papers.
    Checking Job Center Website.
    Upload your CV to Monster/Jobsite/NHS recruitment/army/navy blah blah
    Any cold calling

Obviously sending any CV's, applications, attening interveiws, start on any training courses.
    Its horseshit mate, but Im earning more on JSA than I was working so.
  14. Stack

Stack Member

okay thanks for the help dude
  15. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

No worrys mate, its bullshit and they're so overworked at the JobCenters these days you could write complete horseshit and they'd never chase up any claims you put on it.
  16. darkrider

darkrider Well-Known Member

Dad won't let me on incapacity. Recently signed on for JSA but no way can I apply for 2 jobs a week, so i've basically been told to lie. If I wasn't depressed already now I feel like a fraud. See my latest post basically.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.