What books would you recommend?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Lux, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lux

Lux Well-Known Member

Hi, I hope this is in the right place, I always worry which category to put a thread in heh. (Also sorry if this has been done before)

Basically, I am a ridiculous book worm, and I can't get enough books. I have a list of books that I just need to get. I like anything usually, particularly fantasy, horrors, anything a bit weird and wonderful. I've recently finished reading 'Daughter of Smoke and Bone' by Lainie Taylor and it was amazing.

Are there any books that anyone can recommend?
    Or what is the best book you've read? :)

2. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Hello Lux. :)

Have you read The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss? Those are books 1 and 2 of a series in progress by Rothfuss. It's fantasy with a little bit more science to it than usual. Very well written.

3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

naturally, ill say anything by daniele steel (anyone who knows me knows i love her writing)

as for fantasy, i can't remember who wrote this.. but a film was made from it... bridge to terabithia

their are also things like the disk world series, darren shan, even narnia can be a nice read

4. Lux

Lux Well-Known Member

i haven't! but I've added it to my list! Thank you :D

5. Lux

Lux Well-Known Member

thanks Emily, I've added them too :]
    I saw the film for Bridge to Terabithia and I liked it a lot, so I think I'm going to seek out the book too, and the Narnia chronicles are really good :)

6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Have you read any of the Stephen Donaldson books?
    I read everything he can write.

7. Lux

Lux Well-Known Member

I haven't, he's also added to the list haha. I love how long it's getting now. Which of his books is your favourite? :)

8. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

Mystic River- Dennis Lehane
    Gone Baby Gone- Dennis Lehane
    Misery- Stephen King
    Blaze- Stephen King (as Richard Bachman)
    Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn
    Winters Bone- (Dont remember the author)
    Watchmen- Alan Moore (Graphic Novel)

9. Terry

Torn between the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, which is a sort of Lord of the Rings, and The Gap, which though set in space, not my favourite place, was absolutely enthralling.

His characters are flawed, like real human beings.
    Thomas Covenant is quite weak in his inability to actually do something!
    In the Gap, hero and anti hero kind of swop places.
    In The Mirror of her Dreams, the heroine is so ordinary to start with, it's like reading about someone we've all either been, or known.

10. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Ha! Terry, I have read the first Thomas Covenant book. That's certainly a fitting description for the character. :lol:

11. Terry

I've read all of them and he does get better lol

12. souncide

souncide Well-Known Member

Are you into horror and suspense stories? If yes, then give Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft a try. And Edgar Allan Poe, too.
    Outside this sphere, there's The Book Thief, The House of the Dead and Pegasus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.