What Can I do?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by howardTX, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howardTX

howardTX Active Member

I scared myself a little bit a couple of days ago. I probably suffer from depression; have had suicidal feelings since high school and I also hit myself hard when I do dumb things. I get down and sad from time to time but this time when these familiar feelings hit, it hit hard. I felt out of control which is not something I was used to. This was a bit of a wake up call to me that I need help but I don’t know how. I have a few friends and I am married but I do not want them to know (and really don't know how to tell them because I don't know what I would say if they came to me with the same feelings). I don’t want to tell my physician either but I want help. I know that sounds dumb but I would like to see if there is a way to get help anonymously without those people knowing and especially my insurance company finding out. I would rather it not be on any permanent record because I feel it will come back to bite me later in life.
    Anyone have any advice? Anyone know if there is a way to get a good list of psychologists? Has anyone called a crisis line? Would they have something like that or are they just people who listen?
    Thank you in advance.

2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Howard,
    welcome to the forum.You know therapists have to take an oath just like a doctor. Either way you will learn to trust us!! We are hear on our own free will trying to give advice and support. You can read our own hand writing.
    I am sorry you are leaving us. If you decide to reach out, we will be here helping others. I hope you find what ever you are looking for!!!

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

I've used the crisis line here in Ireland and they really helped.
    I understand about not wanting anything to go on your record, but there is nothing to be ashamed about in terms of feeling suicidal. i read somewhere that at least half of doctor's visists are related to mental health issues. i talked to my doc in january and he put me in touch with all kinds of supports, actually, more support than i'd ever imagined - i ws assigned a community mental health nurse, a psych, relaxation class.... it took a while but we eventually got the right combo of meds for me (anti-depressants didn't work but the mood stabilizer is great).
    i think the governing body for psychologists (APA) can refer you to psychologists in your area. also check out psychcentral.com. but don't discount the benefits of talking to your doctor. it's not as bad as you imagine.

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Howard,
    Are you still with us? I just thought I would check with you and see if you are alright. I haven't seen anymore out of you. You can trust us because 1)No one knows who you really are.2) You will get alot of feedback from different people. 3) you have to participate in this, it doesn't work if we don't hear from you. Please post so we know you are still out there. Tlak To You Later!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.