what can you do to feel better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluster

When feeling really depressed, rather than torturing yourself, what else is there to do to cheer you up?
Apart from eating chocolate..

my counsellor always advises me to go for little walks which always helps
playing sport or some sort of physicall activity that gets the heart pumping faster also helps you relax a little
i try watch something funny on tv or listen to loads of music,

and sometimes i take a st johns wort pill (non prescription anti-depressant) which makes me feel sleepy and helps me slow my mind down a little

Dave303

I usually try and watch some older TV programs. To met the new TV programs are often depressing with the amount of gore they show and very bad plots. I suggest Star Trek The Original Series or Star Trek The Next Generation to cheer up a bit. Also, video games that are not just shooting games are helpful. Reading classic teenage novels like Charles Dickens or The Count of Monte Cristo is great too. Anything that takes your mind off by stimulating it healthily is a definite welcome. For someone, that may be gardening or cooking.

Seven years ago I was in a depression that all but killed me. In desperation I went to see a Psychiatrist who prescribed an anti-depressant for 2 weeks. Miraculously, I was able to relax and focus on all that I had in my life, all that was good. I sat down over a few hours and methodically planned what I wanted to do with my life, career, etc. Within weeks, I landed the job I was hoping for and was on my way to recovery, my depression gone because I realized that I had goals that I wanted to achieve.

Make a plan for your life, get some help, get some meds if need be.

Good luck.

Forgotten_Man

Dammit... eating chocolate is one of the best. hmmm... well what else do you like doing? Do you like running or watching TV? How about going to see a movie? Or a nice walk in the park?

I know I like to watch anime and play video games when I am feeling down.

-- Watch something that will cheer you up, a comedy or a favourite film.
-- Call someone and have a good talk, either about how you're feeling or something completely unrelated.
-- Come online and talk to someone, play games, etc (although personally, being online can make me feel worse)
-- Go for a walk, get out of the house.
-- Make plans with friends.
-- Do something active, go for a run, go to the gym, or any kind of exercise really.
-- Read a good book.
-- Curl up with a blanket, a pet and or/soft toy, make yourself comfortable, be kind to yourself.
-- Set small goals for yourself, think of things you want to get done and try to do so. Doesn't have to be anything big, but it stops you 'wallowing' and makes you feel like you've achieved something.

Those are just a few suggestions, but there are so many things you can do. It really depends on you and what you enjoy doing. Keep trying until you find things that help you, there will be something. Maybe try taking up a new hobby or something, and focus on that for a bit. This sort of thing can be really good, but it won't necessarily solve anything and if you're feeling like this a lot, it might be worth getting some kind of help if you don't already.

Take care of yourself, and good luck!

Cluster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :) I'm gonna cut down on the internet as I've realised it does make me feel worse lol. I've been composing stuff on my guitar and that's been helping. I have been making plans for my life, but the problem is I am not always motivated enough and just want to wallow in my own sorrow.. but I'm gonna try and stop doing that.

I often times turn to my music when I am feeling particularly low, but this is not possible in the dark of night as it would awaken the other members of the household. When this happens I find the need to walk helpful. Anything to redirect my mind and energies to a new place.

L

letdown

Best of luck Cluster. The music composition sounds a very good idea and I'm very glad it's helping. :biggrin:

Last edited:
J
Do something that involves socializing and not involving looking inside yourself so much (introspection). :smile:

I recommend taking up a sport with a few people, and no matter how bad you feel - you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00