What causes people to commit suicide?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Xistence, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xistence

Xistence Well-Known Member

I've been thinking back on when I was severely depressed and suicidal and wondering why I was suicidal in the first place. What causes people to feel suicidal? Is there any one biological or psychological cause, or is it different for everyone? For anyone who is suicidal, why? Thanks! :smile:

2. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

A majority of suicide victims are dealing with depression and other mental health issues. Long term, clinically depressed people very often commit suicide, or at least attempt. Sometimes antidepressants list suicidal ideation as a side effect, especially during the first few weeks. You see the possibility of wanting to commit suicide in the warnings for several meds. My doctor gave me a med for OCD because he felt the thoughts were a compulsion. It has helped reduce the amount of time I spend thinking about suicide. There are days now that I don't think of it at all. Deep stress can be another precursor to suicide. A traumatic experience, the death of a family member or friend - lots of things cause people to want to die.

3. Xistence

Xistence Well-Known Member

I remember my doctor warning me about medications doing that. Is suicide caused by some driving force or compulsion? I've noticed that people's thoughts get twisted severely when they are depressed and it seems like they can't help but want to commit suicide. It's as if they are trying to fight off an addiction, but instead of a drug, it is suicide. Is there really a choice or is it only a battle of survival?

Oh dear, it seems that I went off rambling with questions there. :laugh:

4. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

a number of reasons but for me mainly regrets and pain and probably the worst thing of all this injury that has resulted in a lower testosterone, I am seeing a bunch of docs and if I dont get my testosterone going to at least close the level I know it was at before all this shit started I just dont see how I can go on, there is only so much pain a person can take in a life, I blame alot on me but alot I blame on other people, infact most I blame on others

5. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

A good point. Suicide had become a habit, like an addiction. One author I read called it the suicidal trance. It's hard to break free from it. It's an obsessive compulsive thing, so I take Anafranil, which has helped reduce the thoughts significantly.

There is a choice, but it gets smothered by depression. Any positive choices fly out the window when depression dips. And, yes, X, it is a battle for survival. In my mind during dark times I don't care about living, or more intentionally, I think about ways to die. It's a difficult, complicated thing.

6. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

feeling that there is no way out of a hopeless miserable situation and we tried a million times but still nothings changed, that will make you want to die.

7. lost43215

lost43215 Well-Known Member

I think (least for me) it's suicide is the only other alternative in our minds to escape the pain we live with when we feel no other choices remain. Also for me, I have to get to the point where I just dont care about anything anymore, including my own life, to be able to try suicide.

8. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I think it mostly boils down to a lack of hope.

9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

You can learn to live with suicidal ideations. Between my meds and my therapist I deal with it on a dailey basis. It never goes away for me. I rely on therapy more than the meds. She knows how I am and tries to teach me skills to fight it. In the last three years she has helped me quite a bit. She also told me that they may never go away, That I am fighting it the best that I can. In my case it is a chemical imbalance that causes me to feel this way!!!~Joseph~

10. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

its a lack of visible choices, in desparation to be free of pain and hurt, to rid themselves of everything bad , suicide is the only choice seen.

11. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

The underlying cause, when you get to the bottom of it, is always guilt. A feeling that they don't deserve to be alive. If they felt they deserved life, they would live it, despite the circumstances.

12. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

No way. I have no guilt. None. And I don't have low self esteem or feel undeserving of life or anything like that. My thoughts, and for many others, are about ending pain. Period. I have had way too many years of pain with no end in sight. I want that pain to end.

13. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

For me, its when I'm seriously unbalanced.

When my negatives are heavier than my positives and that leads to me not being able to cope. I get seriously depressed and lose everything (Hope, faith ect)

14. fromthatshow

Where does pain come from? Guilt.
    It can be hard to see that, but all pain comes from guilt. Why else would you not choose happiness?

15. Right U R Ken

No it doesn't. I already said I have no guilt. YOU have guilt. YOU have low self esteem. Those are your problems. It's not what everyone else is dealing with.

16. fromthatshow

Anyone can choose happiness at anytime. What other reason other than guilt would there be not to choose to be happy? Anything can be seen in a different light. There is also a choice for happiness in every situation. And why would a person purposely not choose happiness unless they felt unworthy of it?

17. Right U R Ken

No they can't or else this forum would not exist. Over and over you just keep posting YOUR problem as if it's true for everyone. YOU can't choose to be happy because of YOUR guilt. That is not everyone's else problem. Does a terminally ill person have a choice? That's one of many reasons people chose suicide. My problem? It's not to be shared here but like I've already said, it has nothing to do with guilt.

18. fromthatshow

You're telling me for some people it is impossible for them to choose happiness? They do not have that option available? If there were such a human being that did not have the option of choosing to be happy then I would advocate suicide but because that is completely impossible, there are sites like these which try to help people see the good side of things.
    Have you ever heard someone on here say, wow that does suck. Looks like things really suck for you, and not offer any advice? No, people offer advice because no one is hopeless, and happines CAN be chosen. So again I ask you, with hope for an answer, why would a person not choose happiness were it not for guilt?
    What are your problems are my problems, and what are mine are yours, in the sense that we all go through the same things. Human needs and desires are all the same, and so the core of our problems stem from the same things. While not all our individual problems are the same, at their core, they are.

19. Aissela

Aissela Well-Known Member

20. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

there is always hope in everything, the problem is that some can see it and some can't, for whatever reason.
    pain is relative and so is coping and dealing with it.

we are all different :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.