What causes your depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Stylez, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stylez

Stylez Well-Known Member

I am Bipolor and this means I am manic-depressive. When I'm manic I belive grandiose thoughts like I am a resurecction of a prophet, Gods gift to women, knowing peoples feelings instinctively and things similar to this. I've been hospitalized 4 times for manic episodes but now things have gotten better.

When I'm depressed and low it gets to the point where I'm suicidal. I've tried to commit suicide 4 times in my life. I have been hospitalized once for suicidal thoughts. But now things are better.

What I was depressed about when I was younger was that my bipolor affected the way i thought. I would get strange thoughts in my head like in grade school when someone was hitting my chair I would feel I wasn't in my body. It's almost like a out of body experience. When I got teased I would just take it to the point where the stinging heart in my chest would feel normal. I would make pro's and con's on whether or not to try to kill myself but thankfully I never attempted.

When I got older around the ages of 20-22 yrs of age, this past I had caused me to try to suffocate myself and drown myself.

But now things are better...

So what causes your depression?
  2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I'll move this to the depression forum :)
  3. Seizon sha

Seizon sha New Member

Right at the moment, a Low GPA and dim prospects of getting into a Grad School.
  4. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

My friends not wanting to do things with me, thoughts of my ex bf, how bad I'm doing in math, feeling like I've failed, having my parents mad at me
  5. SeemsPerfect

SeemsPerfect Guest

Failure. But not in the normal sense.

I have impossibly high standards for myself that are impossible to achieve. I feel that if I'm not the absolute best at something then I'm an absolute failure at it. There's no middle ground. As a result I hate myself. I hate myself for having ridicolous standards and I hate myself even more for failing at them.
  6. dying2die

dying2die Well-Known Member

I wish I knew what caused my depression. I have a totally great life, and yet I am depressed. It would be so much easier if I knew the cause of this horrible feeling. Then I would have hope that I would actually overcome this beast. Realistically... I know this dark cloud will ever blow away!
  7. corral

corral Guest

um, i never went to drs about it so i dont know if there are any medicals names for what i have.. id just say problems cause when everything is the way i want i feel happy and alive.
    what causes it.. living in the crappiest country in the world and not being able to travel to others for the same reason. my family.. they dont understand me at all, insensetive, abusive in the past, mentally abusive in the present, we are totaly different.
    not being able to be with the one i love cause of financial reasons.
    have a good day everyone
  8. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Nothing. Who's depressed? Who's in denial?
  9. jcat

jcat Staff Alumni

everything can trigger it. i am happy one minute, depressed the next. someone can say hello, and it will make me depressed. listening to certain music, tallking to certiain ppl and not being able to see them. being angry. being in a good mood to long. missing friends. dead friends. not being able to do drugs anymore. doing drugs as long as i did. causing all the pain and grief with my family. not seeing them, seeing them. having hep-c. not being dead. being alive. living in california. being stuck in my head. looking back at all te crap i've done that caused me problems. looking back at waht i could've done with my life for the better. EVERYTHING, ANYTHING, AND NOTHING can trigger my depression.
  10. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Nothing like bipolar or anything chemical or whatever, its my circumstances. I haven't done the normal things everyone else has, I'm very empty, abnormal, having done, accomplished anything, just wasted my life, that causes my depression, I am inferior to everyone else and will never have a normal life and all I'm going to do is suffer surrounded by normal people and all that crap.

And I don't feel like going into details and that frustrates me, too embarrased, trust me, I'm a loser and I don't think there's any hope for me, of course everyone will say otherwise and so I'm supposed to be crazy, I just don't know. Okay, some things like not having friends, like I've finished two years of college and haven't made a single friend, or gone to clubs or activites, nothing at all, LOSER!!!! LOL. And I guess I'm too depressed to start now, its a vicious cycle I guess.

I wish I could start life all over again, I'm screwed ya know?

I dunno what happened to have me raised as inferior and as a loser and its not fair that I have to try to change myself and become normal I feel. And I can't be normal because I've spent all my early years as a loser so I'm doomed to it. And my parents think I'm crazy for being depressed and thinking of suicide, they must be ignorant of how much of a loser I am.

God, this is depressing, what can/should I do? Sigh...................

It seems that I should not commit suicide and just try to improve myself and be normal, easier said than done. This sucks, help anyone?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2007
  11. Lucille

Lucille Member

Nothing triggers it, I can be having a perfectly normal day. And thats what scares me because I don't know how to fix it. All of a sudden I just feel completely indifferent to everything around me, and incredibly tired.
  12. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

Basically, it's a midlife crisis. I'll be forty soon, I have no woman to love me, I'm in debt up to my hair folicles, I work temp jobs when I can get them, my career is a no-show, I can barely pay my bills, my family lives on the opposite coast and they want me to move back (although it would be tantamount to quitting my dreams), I've recently lost a friend, I'm lonely, isolated, I drink and there doesn't seem to be much of future for me.

Other than that, I'm ok.
  13. Syd

Syd Guest

Thank you for creating this thread, Alienation.

I put up a poll based on this thread, as I felt it would be easier to view the biggest problems visually, without having to read through responses. Plus some people would prefer to remain anonymous, and can do so by voting in the poll.

If there was already a poll on depression in this forum that I overlooked, feel free to delete my poll.

I voted for 'health problems' in my poll, because I feel that NVLD, HSP, insomnia are some of the reasons I'm so unmotivated and have difficulty reaching my full potential. For anyone who feels they've always been depressed due to a natural chemical imbalance in the brain, feel free to submit that as a health problem as well.
  14. jcat

jcat Staff Alumni

everything and nothing. feeling, not feeling. caring, not caring. loving, hating. breathing, sleeping, eating, everything
  15. p3cky

p3cky Account Closed

ex breaking up with me, being so dumb at school, probably doing drugs doesn't help either, low self esteem
  16. johnsmythe

johnsmythe Well-Known Member

Being alone.

Feeling like no matter what I may accomplish life, it wont make a difference in the end and I'll be forgotten.

Knowing that I'll never meet someone i can truly trust.

Those are the ones off the top of my head.
  17. Kinetic

Kinetic Well-Known Member

alienation cause my depression
    loneliness, emptiness, lack of motivation, lack of people to talk about what I really feel, ocd sometimes, tiredness and so on
  18. rd9671

rd9671 Guest

My thoughts make me feel depressed most often, in addition to that it is the chemical imbalance in my brain from the bipolar disorder. When I get into a depressed state I think to myself that I can never do anything right and I am a failure at everything I do. That others in my life would be better off without me and I am being selfish by remaining in their lives. Ther than that; notheing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.