What did it feel like when you OD'd?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by pogosticker, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pogosticker

pogosticker Well-Known Member

Ever since I OD'd at the end of last year, I've been put off taking pills. It took me months before I could even stomach the thought of anti-depressants - and they're the only pills I've taken since. If I have a headache or whatever I won't take a pill.

Well, last monday I tried (poorly) to kill myself. Had nothing here (mod edits.. explicit methods). so ended up feeling like an idiot, and now I just have scabs on my arm. I know I can't do it this way, so I've started buying pills again.

(mod edit- methods attempted over dose)

I still worry about the pain. I don't wanna lie around in agony for possibly days. I know I'm capable of taking the pills, but I worry I'll end up calling an ambulance. Last time I just felt sick, cold, and couldn't stop shivering. I felt the need to vomit but couldn't. It wasn't pleasant, but only lasted for a few hours.

Were you in pain when you did it?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
  2. saltydogmk

saltydogmk Member

When I did it, I took 200 pills of amitriptilin and sat down in front of wife and told her she can now watch me die. I don't remember being in much pain due to the fact it put me to sleep. So I don't remember being in any kind of pain but that's because I slipt into a coma for 3 days. They told me later when I came to that I was fighting the ambulance people the whole time but I don't remember a thing. If you ever need someone to talk to just email me and I'll be glad to speak to you. If you would rather instant messege me I can leave you my yahoo address. I'm a cutter as well and deal with the temptation on a regular basis of both cutting and suicidal thoughts so believe me I would understand. *hugs

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  3. pogosticker

pogosticker Well-Known Member

Hey salty, cheers for offering to talk and understanding. I think I'm all talked out to be honest and now all I have left in me is an urge to do it. I won't do it today, my sister's here. Maybe tomorrow, if she's working. Sorry to hear you're going through some shit too, hope you pull yourself out of it because you seem like a good guy. But I'm too far gone, I don't even need to cry. I just need the pills.

4. saltydogmk

saltydogmk Member

I am sorry to hear you feel that way but whatever reason you can find to not do it like your sister then keep her in mind before you do it. I keep my grandmother in mind when I feel like doing it and for the most times it helps otherwise I call my crysis line or come here to get it off my chest. I'll be praying for you *hug

5. asking_for_it

asking_for_it Member

i took an OD of paracetamol with half a bottle of vodka, so i was mostly drunk and disorientated. I was given a drip to make me vomit though and from then i did start feeling awful. i couldnt look at tablets for ages afterwards. the nurse told me OD is not a easy, painless way to die. she told me it takes days. it put me off i want something quicker.

6. AfterFact

AfterFact Well-Known Member

(mod edit-details attempted overdose). I didnt go to the hosptial, I didnt want to get caught, so instead I spent about a week struggling through school having a metal taste in my mouth and massive pain where my stomach, kidneys and livers were(I dont really know what was actually hurting, like I said I didnt go to the hosptial, so anything is a guess on my part)
    I would lie down on my bed in a fetal position after school just wanting the pain to stop, no matter how I sat or lay down, I always felt nauseous and just generally sick to my stomach. In hindsight I should have gone to the hosptial.

7. Perhapsa3

Perhapsa3 Well-Known Member

With my first OD I took a handful of pain pills with food in my stomach so there was little discomfort.
    My second OD was 60 OTC sleeping pills, with those I was throwing up infront of an officer without even realizing it. When they pointed the blue ooze out to me I told them I thought I was brushing my teeth. After thinking about it I sat down.

8. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I've ODed twice. Once was with seroquel; I felt nothing, fell asleep as usual that night and woke up in the hospital being told that I was brought in because I had a seizure and had been extremely disoriented and groggy the whole day, waking up in a daze occasionally, trying to leave and ignoring attempts at communication.

Another time I took another drug (One I wont specify because the drug in question actually could kill you with relative ease if, unlike me, you don't end up in the ER.) that, as expected giving its pharmacokinetics, made me very itchy - I scratched my nose until it bled, very slow to react and gave me great difficulty staying conscious. I woke up after that OD to find out that I was nearly put on an artificial breathing apparatus because the drug slowed down my breathing to the point my blood oxygen level was getting dangerous. Also I couldn't pee for the next two days without a lot of concerted effort.

9. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I will not tell you or anyone the name of the tablets I took or how many of them (lest it gives anyone an idea of what they could try) but suffice it to say that the first (and last time) I ever tried with tablets was five years ago now. While they did not cause me any pain so to speak, they did make me so sick and dried out out inside (like I had a sponge inside of me) and a very frightening experience of making my limbs so heavy I could only drag myself across the floor for a week when I needed to use the bathroom. The strangest thing of all was that no one even found out about it...

10. pppqp

pppqp Well-Known Member

i OD'd on sleeping pills only. twice when i was alone feeling numb and overwhelmed. but i didn't take hundreds of pills like you guys did. just a handful.
    i slept for 2 or 3 days. wasn't hospitalized. woke up a few times (as far as i remembered) to pee and vomit, then got back to sleep. everything was blurry i could barely remember.
    last time months ago, i had a fight with my dad i grabbed all kinds of pills i could manage to find at that moment. i didn't swallow though, just chew. then my mom calmed me down and my dad promised he wouldn't treat me badly again. so i spat them out.
    i would not choose OD as a suicide method. just to self harm.

11. Chocolate Heartache

Chocolate Heartache Active Member

I think overdose is probably one of the most unpleasant ways to die.

In January I took a large paracetamol overdose and managed to dodge detection for about 12 hours - which is close to the cut-off for the antidote not working. I was very sick for the first 24 hours of my admission (the ED was really busy, I remember at some point the floor around my bed was scattered with bowls of vomit;) the antidote leaked from my vein into my arm, which swelled up like a football; my blood stopped clotting properly so I was bruising really easily and bleeding from my ear; and my liver swelled up and HURT (the liver is covered in a membrane which doesn't relax well, so when the liver tissue swells quickly it gets very tight and painful.)

Try to hang on in there, if you can. I know that's really, really hard for you right now, but this is a whole forum of people who've been suicidal and aren't dead yet, which means a fair number of people who've found reasons to live, after they thought their life was over. Also a handful of people who are just hanging around because our bodies refuse to die just yet, but there's lots of hope out there. Do you have professionals, a doctor or a mental health nurse or a therapist, you can talk to?

12. MrsStavrogin

MrsStavrogin Active Member

(mod edit- deleted quote of pogosticker because of specific details of attempted overdose)

I can't say that I was in pain (don't remember), but yeah... in most cases it just ends up in pain, vomiting and other messy stuff that you don't want to be aware of, but in 90 % of cases you are aware, or at least semi-aware.

I was driven to hospital, they put me in restraints, and I had a hallucination that the doctors were trying to kill me. I broke some glass with the IV stand and attacked a man that was lying in the bed beside me. And I was unaware all the time. It was only later that they told me what had happened. I spent two weeks in a mental hospital.

Just don't do it. Period.

13. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

I have overdosed, but not seriously. I took way too many vicodin, and then tried to kill myself taking too many antidepressants. All it did was make me sick to my stomach because (obviously) I didn't take enough.

I do have two friends, two brothers, that died within 24 hours of each other from heroin overdoses. Their friends left them in bathtubs with running water and they were found the next morning foaming at the mouth. I could only imagine the pain they were in as their organs started to fail from the heroin and they started to foam.

Overdose is definitely the most unpleasant way to die. Unlike other methods, it's not instant and there could be hours and hours of pain before you finally succumb to it. Not to mention violent vomiting as your stomach tries to purge itself of the toxins.

14. johnsmith

johnsmith New Member

The first time I OD'ed was on a whole bottle of muscle relaxers because they where supposed to cuase heart failure. The next day I woke up feeling really sleepy and kinda high. Turns out it would have taken about four our so more bottles to actually kill me. That night I took a bottle of Anti-inflamatory meds. Meds of this type shut down your bodies ability to produce a stomach lining. I had the worst F***ing pain ever and ended up in the ER. I don't recomend anyone overdose!

15. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Obsolute shit i was spewing my guts up for 8hrs first time.Second same third i was on shit load of monitors and have no idea how i got to hosp.Fourth time i remember waking up in hosp seeing and talking to ppl that wernt there.Of all these times never seen that nice light and took me days and days to get over.Never ever worth trying this nor any other method and my biggest concern now is my kidney and liver.

16. kage

kage Member

I had several OD experiences over a 16 year period. My most recent and the closest I ever got to being successful was a large quantity of <Mod Edit, WildCherry: Methods>. My attempt was to take enough Wellbutrin to jumpstart a heart attack, one of the potential consequences of a serious OD. The only thing it did was get me a first class ticket to a drug induced psychosis, something I've never experienced prior to that. I had small memories of my functioning during this period until my heart rate returned to normal and the drugs left my system. Everything was dream like, but a witness to this described me as purely animalistic during this fit. I'm happy I wasn't fully concious for it. However, coming out of that was obviously the worst experience ever- having to deal with the consequences of a failed attempt when you work in mental health and will potentially be hospitalized at the same inpatient your clients are at. Devastating life consequences further complicating the existence you're trying to escape.

17. losing-control

losing-control New Member

Hi pogosticker im in the same boat as you after my last OD i havent been able to taken any tablets even if its just for a headache. I Od on <mod edit-gentlelady-methods>Lithium tablets and got poising and went into renal faliure ended up on dyalis and completely screwed my thyroid. It really shocked me becuase I was so sure that it would have killed me but it didnt and I dont understand why not. I guess the body is such a powerful thing and will just keep fighting and wont let you give up.
    Im hear if you want to chat....
    xx

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  18. anotherearthplease27

anotherearthplease27 Well-Known Member

Sort of same with me. I don't take the 1st medicine that i od'd on..nor drink chocolate milk(which i guess is okay now...i think i'm becoming a little lactose intolerant.)

My first attempt i OD'd on around 200 pills.... i then fell deeply asleep, woke up...had the runs...fell asleep....woke up...threw up....fell asleep.....this happened over and over for around 8 to 10 hours.............just around the time of Americans Funniest Video...my (ex)boyfriend had had enough of me barely responding...i think i said something about going to the hospital but didn't give details...not sure if he heard me...or i went back to sleep...was a blur. finally he took me to my car hoping i would tell him what was going on...i did...how could i not...i was in no shape to drive. he rushed me to the hospital, where they fed me charcaol...where i proceeded to continue to throw up...but i guess this was in a good way. i think i was in icu for around 3 days...remember my mom saying how cold i was. for about a week, charcoal revisited me.

all in all..not a pleasant experience....but obviously not a good deterent for me...two more attempts using different pills(less pills but i thought more potent).....numb lips...seeing a floating eye...no throwing up involved until they pumped my stomach.

ODing...i do not recommend it.

actually i do not recommend any self harm or self defeating acts to ANYONE.

I do have a question for those that have taken large dosages...the first time they had me go back in later to have everything tested....do you need to have this done again years and years down the road?...or do you just not worry about it, as long as you are not having problems.

19. Dying_Imp

Dying_Imp Active Member

Hi,
    I'm not sure that I should tell you how easy and 'painless' I have found ODing. I have done it several times, usually almost working (would have if I hadn't been found :crushed:) and ending up with me in ICU.
    I have however discovered several pills that it is not a 'good' idea to OD on :ambivalence:! Don't OD on quetiapine, you'll end up having siezures (probably wetting yourself :yuk:) and not being able to drive for at least a year. Don't OD on phenergan, you will hallucinate, not realise what you are doing and will probably end up stripping off and try going to the toilet in inappropriate places. Don't OD on paracetamol, you might not die straight away but you could well do enough damage to your liver that you will die aware and in pain a few days later (I had the misfortune of watching this happen to a 17yr old boy who 'just wanted help') - no, it hasn't stopped me taking paracetamol but I make sure that other stuff will kill me first.
    ODing in general will get you a 'nice' drink of charcoal, if you've never tasted it you don't want to :yuk: and they usually continue to make you drink it until you are doing 'black poo' so that they know it has gone through your system, and it makes you incredibly constipated!
    If you are thinking of taking an OD (or killing yourself in any other way) please reach out and try and get help, it is out there, come and talk to the great people on this site, PM me if you like but it really isn't worth trying to OD, it rarely works out how we want it to and things can change.
    Imp

20. acecoffee

acecoffee Active Member

i OD quite a few time before , accidental or purposely . few end up in hospital .

those accidental one was mostly because i want to sleep . i want to ease my mind and pain and just forget everything ,a bit of relief . as sometime small OD do nothing but make you feel extremely drowsy . i could be drowsy for 2-3 day before i got it clear out of my system . but mostly wake up under 24 hours completely fine .

i had quite a few suicide OD attampted . none of them work , almost always end up in hospital if my family find out . normally i will vomit and be put on IV for a day ,i wouldnt be able to remmeber what happen , i dont know if it is the med effect or if it is just repressed memory , ( i always cant completely remember everything when i m being agressive or 'out of control' ) .some time on my note it will say i m completely calm but some time it will say i m extremely confused and agressive . they will do a list of test all the time and when i m awake or finally woke up , i will need to wait for assessment (normally a day or 2) .i will be put on suicide watch /observation when i m awake but normally i couldnt care less by that time .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.