What do people live for?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by J.Elias, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Elias

J.Elias New Member

I'm not seriously considering suicide at the moment, but im genuinely confused about why people live and what they live for. I'm in my late teens and im about to take a few exams which are pretty important. I've been working towards these exams for a long while and my university applications depends on me doing well in them. I'm very worried that i will miss out on getting good grades and ive started to question what i would do with life if i didnt get in. Academia has been the only thing that has meant something to me for the last couple of years.

It may sound weird, but ive always thought about finding structure and meaning in daily life by being institutionalised. Sort of like in the film shawshank redemption, when brooks is to be released, yet he really wants to stay in priaon. Ive always thought of it as an alternative to suicide; if you dont want to live life in free society, then being in prison or in a mental institution and having your life ordered by a system. It sounds weird, but for me thay seems more ideal than living freely. Ive done a lot of bad things with my freedom and in a sense i just want to be controlled. Does anyone else want something like this?

So im sort of asking a very simple and onvious question and i dont really want profound answers but just honest and simple answers. Generally, what do people live for? More specifically, what do you live for and why? Thanks and sorry if this is posted in the wrong part of the forum. Sorry about spelling and grammar as well, i did this quickly on my phone.

2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hi J. - I do understand your thinking - and have thought the same myself in the past, but that was because I was lacking certain crucial insights as to what it is that makes live worth the living and looking forward to getting up each day to enjoy it - inspite of the setbacks that can be thrown at us, and the ones we are very capable of creating ourselves because of mis-guidedness/making assumptions etc. It is not the end of the story by any means, and as you like Shawshank, the way out is to understand the dynamic of what kept the hero of the movie sane when he was clapped into darkened solitary - when he returned to his mates in the refectory, they were amazed about how unaffected he was by it - and he told them about what made him strong within himself. that is the same principle, in order to find our freedom - internally. :)

3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

people live for diffrent reasons.

if you have a pet, people may live for that, or if someone has children, they may live for them- so as not to put them through it all

i live for music. that's all i've got left now, but i seriously can't see myself without it and that prevents me from killing myself.

4. nessa456

nessa456 Active Member

I live partly because I'm too cowardly to commit suicide and partly for my partner,who would be alone without me, my father - who has Alzheimers and is in a care home and for my cat. I don't find life easy at all but there will be things that I enjoy in it, such as certain TV programmes or films and I like food. Other people are the main source of my pain but even though I often feel disrespected by people, some people are ok with me. I sometimes think God wants me to stay alive for a reason such as helping others. I'm not overtly religious but have a belief in God and find that focusing on trying to be a good Christian helps me/gives a certain amount of meaning to life ie we should all be trying to help each other no matter how difficult life is.

5. Hawkins

Hawkins Member

In my experience, people live for the sole reason of impressing others.

6. cancelMe

cancelMe Member

idk...most people have things to live for...i don't besides paying off my car

7. Concrete_Angel

Concrete_Angel Forum Buddy

Hello J

I myself live for my nan and grandad as they have done so much for me. I also live for my good friend who is really supportive. I also live for the fact that if I committed suicide then the person who caused me misery in the first place has won and I wouldn't be here anymore. I also live for my dreams. I really want to be a paramedic and my determination keeps me going because someday I want to be that women driving that ambulance, or that women saving lives. I also live for my pets. My puppy means so much to me and it distracts me most of the time and cheers me up when I'm feeling blue by doing something out of the ordinary. I also live for the people that care for me. If I put myself in their situation it makes me think twice about doing something.

I hope that helps :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.