What do psychiatrists give you?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by hecte, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hecte

hecte Active Member

So the only reason I came to these forums was to get help. I want to die but at the same time I wantt other perspectives on the matter which I cant get from people close to me because they will think im a nut.

I didnt get help here so now im considering a psychiatrist but I dont want to be put on anti depressants. Ive seen people on anti depressants and it screws them up.

Anybody have any experience with psychiatrists?
  2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Yes and with a psycho therapist. The shrink was crap but my therapist was an amazing man who helped me more than I ever thought possible.
  3. bumper

bumper Well-Known Member

In my experience, therapists and antidepressants give you nothing more than false hope. That, and a temporary solution to a permanent problem.
  4. BrooklynRider

BrooklynRider Well-Known Member

I have experience. I was in a psych ward for 8 days for severe depression. I can only give you my impression. It is only my Truth.

I think Psychiatrists are very good at analysing and diagnosing behavioral problems. They are quick to dispense medications and I think, if a patient is high-functioning, he should engage in healthy skepticism. I was diagnosed with severe depression and was put on very effective anti-depressants. I agreed with the diagnosis and the treatment. On the other hand, I am also diagnosed bipolar II and post traumatic stress disorder and I do not with to medicate these conditions. Instead, I have opted for therapy with a great therapist I trust using pretty advanced methods. I hated the initial drug they gave me for bipolar II and would still be on it, if my doctor had her way.

As a patient, you are a medical consumer. A cosumer of anything must be educated or at least make the effort to get educated. The brain is an organ you must treat carefully (and kindly).

Sounds like you are taking care of yourself or trying to. My hat's off to you. Good luck.
  5. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

The psychiatrist I seen for years was a genuinely good man, good enough to say hey to me passin on the street or in the mall, if that counts... but he was quick to put me on medication, but just as quick he would take me off if he felt it was not working for me or there were to many symptoms, but sadly he left my city.. now I am in group therapy which I do appreciate greatly.
  6. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

The primary role of a psychiatrist is to diagnose and dispense medication. This can be helpful for some people in providing relief from symptoms so that they can tackle the root of their depression, perhaps through work with a psychotherapist/counsellor or maybe by making new lifestyle choices. I think it is futile to make generalisations about the usefulness (or not) of either psychiatrists/therapists and drugs... what works for one might not for another. But if you're desperate surely anything is worth a try?!
  7. Evo_L

Evo_L Well-Known Member

I felt like killing my psychiatrist. I can't believe he justified getting a pay-cheque on the bogus info he was seemingly dishing out.

I went for my first session, he asked me what was bugging me, so I laid my cards down. He probed deeply enough and I answered him as honestly as possibly.

Following session he asked me how I was doing, I told him I was still depressed and dismissed me about after 20 minutes.

Following that was the same thing. Just a very casual chat.

Went to my forth session and still nothing had been suggested at all, it was just an informal chat.

Then after being admitted to hospital for slashing my wrists open too deeply, I saw his notes on a computer screen, he said I had dysmorphia and chronic depression.

Dysmorphia is when you hate yourself because of the way you look, but it's usually an injust self-hatred, I'd say my self-hatred of my looks is a pretty damn accurate critique of myself, go ask the entire female population they'd back me up on the matter.

Basically it was a total waste of time, due to the time I took off work they got pissed off and then later sacked me after an argument with the manager.

It made me feel even moreso depressed, it was down my list as one of my final avenues to explore before really focusing on killing myself and it had totally failed me. No help was offered and I had a strong personal disliking of the psychiatrist also.

Edit: The only good thing from the experience is that he said I seemed to come across as a very intellectual person, I like to be complimented, though it happens very rarely.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2007
  8. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Evo, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with him, surely gave you a very sour taste in the mouth. But not all of them are the same, there are some excellent ones, some okay, and some awful ones who you wonder how they got their job. You may have to try several times to find your perfect psychiatrist but it is of course MUCH easier said than done.
  9. Evo_L

Evo_L Well-Known Member

Odd that is, I've told that story to a few in the past and they all agreed they had similar experiences.
  10. TwilightKid

TwilightKid Well-Known Member

Well i am on Seroxat and i have been on it since May 2006. Those are antidepressants and they do help a lot. But on the other hand they make u melancholic and senseless. Most of the time i just dont want to do anything, antidepressants will not give u motivation but at least they will take your depression away thats for sure. I have been suicidal until i got on the pills and now i am not suicidal anymore. But sometimes i am tired of beiong senseless and emotionless so i "forget" to take my pills for a few days on a purpose. Then i have my depression back in a few days but at least i know i am still alive.
    I have been to a few different shrinks in the past few years and none really helped except the last one. She didnt talk to me about my problems or something psychological but tried to explain how it all works on the material level. I mean how the brain works and what stuff is needed to fight off the depression and sadness and also OCD symptoms, coz i have OCD too. So it was very relieving to know that everything has a reason which is easier than it might seem. I mean your brain may just lack some chemical stuff so pills just give u more of that stuff. Of course this is just one of the reasons for depression, there are more to that, but i think this may be the main reason for me.
    So understanding ur problems is really important, or so i think. At least it helped me a bit.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.