What do suicidal people do for work/jobs?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by jamie20m, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamie20m

jamie20m Well-Known Member

Well, what do you do...?
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Up until last week I worked online for a gambling company. I also used to have an ebay shop :unsure:
  3. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i work for an auto parts business although honestly i'm beginning to feel like they are trying to push me out cause of all my hospitalizations. ugh
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i sell my photos online.
    i'm also trained as a librarian, but not currently working in the field. i hope to get back into it again, and to work as a children's librarian.
  5. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

im a self employed falconer, also breeding rare species of birds.
  6. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

I've been a teacher, a musician, a minister and a house painter. Now I'm on disability because of mental health issues.
  7. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I am unemployed and dont see how I will go back into the work force, is it hard to get on disability for mental issues? I also have other physical issues but not sure if it is enough for me to qualify
  8. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

Its not hard to get
    but you need few things if you want it
    1. you must work with a therapist
    2. you must take meds

When you will come to.. amm... this place where thay check you
    you have to show them the meds you takin,to tell them about your mental
    history, to tell them about the fact you are treated and working with a therapist, and if possible to give them a letter from your therapist or sicial worker.

And remember, dont do the same mistake as i did
    i got sick of the meds and stoped taking them, thay cenceled my disability in like 2 months... even though i wasnt able to work thay didnt care...
    i was forced to live with my parents...
  9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Used to manage 7 retail outlets for a paint and wallpaper company. Now like so many others, on disability and prospects of going back to work are dim. My pdoc keeps saying atleast 2 more years, he started saying that 7 years ago!
  10. wastedmylife

well I had taking meds and will never take a mood alternating medication, so I guess that disqualifys me from getting disability, unless I lie of course
  11. wastedmylife

do you want to go back to work?
  12. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

So badly but because of my mental health issues it is impossible. I've tried several times but longest I lastest was 1 week. Try to support 4 kids a house and bills as a single mom on disability. That's a mental health issue in itself!!!
  13. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I use to be a truck driver but had to give that up because I was running cars off the road. I walked into work one day and quit. I told my boss what was happening and he wanted to send me out on a nother run. I guess after I quit he thought he could still tell me what to do. I just walked out and didn't look back. So I ended up having a nervous breakdown and ended up in the hospital. I have been in therapy, and seeing a shrink regular. So now that I rambled on I also am on disability!!! Take Care!!!
  14. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I'm on disability.
  15. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

well, you can "take meds" by buying them and showing them to the
    doctors that checkin this stuff... but you dont HAVE to take them...
    so you can get disability...
  16. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I've worked many jobs, my last was contracting by default because it was with my Father. Growing up I had been looking forward to working in the veterinary field but I had a nervous breakdown in college that left me house- bound for over a year. I've been on disability since then.

My hands are shaking as I type this, I spent several hours on a couch today paralyzed by panic attacks so when I can I take family and friends places and do handiwork for them at their house/ apartment.
  17. Victori@

Victori@ Well-Known Member

I was about to be a manager of a retail store... Something I had been working up to for three years... I had to quit my job for mental health reasons and I hope I can get back out there soon.. While I m at home I take pictures and sell them.
  18. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I was at Uni doing Paediatric Nursing, I quit due to ED's & depression.

Now I work for the government, I was a manager but gave it up before they sacked me so now I am back at a lower grade.

I wish I could do nursing again but I don't think they'd have me & that just depresses me even more.

You can't win sometimes although I am proud (kinda) of myself because I still am working, without it I'd hate to think what i would be like.
  19. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

About to start med school. How long I'll last, I dunno. We'll see...
  20. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

I work in human resource management for a corporation and hate it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.