What do ya'll listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Title says it all. What do you guys listen to?

What mood influences what you listen to & when? Like do you feed the depressive episodes with like feeling music or try to reverse it?

Are you easily influenced by music alone? Like if you were in a good mood can you be jolted out of that by music...or vice versa?

ghosTea

Counterculture Nerd
SF Multi Media
SF Supporter
You should check out and contribute to my song a day thread ;) But I mostly listen to depressing music 80% of the time and 80% of the time it is more comforting but since I have been going through tough times I can be triggered a lot easier but I always put on full albums not mixes so when I do have one on it normally just plays in the background. When I am crafting or cleaning I put on older punk music. Music with a good chorus I can sing along too. Bands like Ramones and The Cramps I can sing word for word as I go about my business.. I will also listen to ambient if I feel the need to space out. So for me it varies a lot.

But with depressing music I definitely fall under it helps more then it does damage though sometimes when I am down I will purposely put on a song to make me feel worse like my pain is justified. Which is I know is not great...

Cathy

Music influences me a lot. It can make me feel very confident and happy, but I can also use it to feed a depressive episode. I know it's dumb because then there's no way of getting out, but I still do it.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I listen to pretty much anything. Sometimes music can bring back bad or good memories, or make me feel better at worse. I just know that I don't know what I would do without music.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I wouldn't know what to do without music either, @Witty_Sarcasm I'm all about it.
Sounds like so far we all know we shouldn't listen to some music at certain times but we do it anyway. lol We're amazing critters.

dugga

Bands like Ramones and The Cramps I can sing word for word as I go about my business..
Saw The Cramps and the Ramones on stage a couple of times back in the dim dark past - fun times, brings back some crazy memories of wild times. Great driving music - I can remember teaching my youngest daughter to sing along to the Ramones' "sheena is a punk rocker" and the Cramps' "all women are bad" in the car when she was about two or three years old :cool:

ghosTea

Counterculture Nerd
SF Multi Media
SF Supporter
Saw The Cramps and the Ramones on stage a couple of times back in the dim dark past - fun times, brings back some crazy memories of wild times. Great driving music - I can remember teaching my youngest daughter to sing along to the Ramones' "sheena is a punk rocker" and the Cramps' "all women are bad" in the car when she was about two or three years old :cool:
You are one cool dad. I am only 31 so I never got a chance to see either band. Lucky you :)

WatchingPlanesFlyBy

Captain of the Catwalk
Sarah McLachlan is my all-time favorite. Everything she writes and sings speaks volumes.

Aside from that, I love Type O Negative, Crazy Cavan, No-Man, Shoji Meguro, Mechina, E.S Posthumus, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult.

A little bit of everything. I don't like subscribing to any particular genre.

Last edited:

nobodyknows71

For a Phoenix to rise, it must first burn.
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I listen to all kinds of music, from Abba to AC/DC, Madonna to Metallica, UB40 to U2. I draw the line at Bieber!!
Why is it easier to get sucked in by depressing music than it is to be lifted out by uplifting music? Or is that just me?

Right now I'm revisiting George Michael. Stunning voice.

nihilistic

I need music. It helps me breathe, it stops me from saying nasty things to other people, it keeps me focused. My taste is primarily on the darker side, and I love weirder experimental sounds, though that doesn't mean I dislike popular stuff. At this very moment, I'm listening to the album "On Avery Island" by Neutral Milk Hotel. This morning I listened to "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea," which is such an emotionally gorgeous album. My friend and I have been discussing cohesive albums, she recently got me into Childish Gambino' s new album, and I felt like I needed to immerse myself in some NMH.

afterlifepig

i've fallen in love with Shinedown's album "the sound of madness" recently. Also got some nightwish, nightwish is always good. Planning on buying an album from the offspring as they have some songs they put on youtube that are really good. when you sample a song or two or three, often the album they come from is good, but this isn't always the case. Shinedown's album i mentioned is one of those kind, all the songs on it are really good.

caffeine and music are my two "fixes" or crutches. i'm pretty happy most of the time so i guess they work pretty well. i've also composed some music (for my video game project) but i can't share that or else you would know who i really am.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Eminem mostly, but I also love Rihanna an Nicki Minaj ...they help me through tough times :)

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Music is dead to my ears :p

I like alot of lyrics I read them. Or music lyrics I visually see in movies like David Bowie in Labyrinth or Disneys Lion King songs. Very cool

Sunday16

SF Supporter
When I'm stressed, Widespread Panic calms me down. I listen to Metallica to cheer me up! My favorite genre is funk so 70s like Earth Wind and Fire, or more modern like Jamiroquai, G Love and Special Sauce, the Chili Peppers are my go to bands. I like 90s grunge when I'm feeling nostalgic. And I enjoy Nelly, Sean Paul, Bob Marley and the Grateful Dead no matter what mood I'm in! Thanks for letting me share, this is fun!

Hello!
Im new to this forum but found this thread and wish to contribute.
I listen to all sorts of music.
I'm something of a music fiend myself and dig on anything from rock, punk rock, alternative, funk, ambient, post rock, metal, glitch, electronica, hip hop, classical and orchestra, jazz, bolero, blues, folk, prog, death metal, black metal, singer/songwriter, klezmer, lo fi, noise, experimental, samba, bossa, grunge, tango, etc, etc.

Cannot go by a single day without listening to something.
Currently listening to "Soundtracks for the Blind" by Swans.
Anybody into that?
Swans are some.of my favorite music of all time.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Why is it easier to get sucked in by depressing music than it is to be lifted out by uplifting music?
I get slurped under by depressing music more easily than brought out of a spin by good music. It can go both ways but something that triggers me will drop me like a brick if it strikes me right off. Evanescence? That band is evil! I can't listen to that chick at all. She makes me want to .. ugh.. well, there's blood involved.
But I can also get out of a weird mood something with some really good stuff too - Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, Tool, Eminem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00