What Do You Call Soft Drinks?

Discussion in 'The Gameroom' started by Godsdrummer, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Ok so my girlfriend and I have this running joke.

I call soft drinks, pop, she calls them soda.

Others refer to all soft drinks as coke.

What you do call a soft drink?

coke: this generic term for soft drinks predominates throughout the South, New Mexico, central Indiana and in a few other single counties in Nevada, Utah and Wyoming. ‘Coke’ obviously derives from Coca-Cola, the brand-name of the soft drink originally manufactured in Atlanta (which explains its use as a generic term for all soft drinks in the South).

pop: dominates the Northwest, Great Plains and Midwest. The world ‘pop’ was introduced by Robert Southey, the British Poet Laureate (1774-1843), to whom we also owe the word ‘autobiography’, among others. In 1812, he wrote: A new manufactory of a nectar, between soda-water and ginger-beer, and called pop, because ‘pop goes the cork’ when it is drawn. Even though it was introduced by a Poet Laureate, the term ‘pop’ is considered unsophisticated by some, because it is onomatopaeic.

soda: prevalent in the Northeast, greater Miami, the area in Missouri and Illinois surrounding St Louis and parts of northern California. ‘Soda’ derives from ‘soda-water’ (also called club soda, carbonated or sparkling water or seltzer). It’s produced by dissolving carbon dioxide gas in plain water, a procedure developed by Joseph Priestly in the latter half of the 18th century. The fizziness of soda-water caused the term ‘soda’ to be associated with later, similarly carbonated soft drinks.

Other, lesser-used terms include ‘dope’ in the Carolinas and ‘tonic’ in and around Boston, both fading in popularity. Other generic terms for soft drinks outside the US include ‘pop’ (Canada), ‘mineral’ (Ireland), ‘soft drink’ (New Zealand and Australia). The term ‘soft drink’, finally, arose to contrast said beverages with hard (i.e. alcoholic) drinks.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I call them as they are lol!

orange=orange etc... :D
  3. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I say "soda". That's what you say in northern America, at least on the west coast where I used to live.
    In Swedish we say "läsk" (pronounced lesk) or sometimes soda, if it's päronsoda ("pear soda") och hallonsoda ("raspberry soda") it's pronounced sooda', like in "zoo" hehe
  4. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I call them fizzy drinks.
  5. whiskeylullaby

whiskeylullaby Well-Known Member

lol the coke, soda, pop debate, i swear i have it at least once a week :)

for the record, i'm originally from texas and i call them all coke regardless lol
  6. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I love this debate. Yep....I used to tour down south back when I was younger and EVERYONE called any kind of soft drink, coke!

My gf says she is going to correct me when it comes to this, I told her good luck.

There is a regional franchise of service station/mini marts in my area, and they serve a fountain drink called "Polar Pop."
  7. whiskeylullaby

whiskeylullaby Well-Known Member

yep that is how it goes :) someone asks you if you want a coke, and you answer 'what kind?'

8. Puppy

Puppy Well-Known Member

As a collective term: fizzy pop

Individually, I call them by their name ie Coca Cola, Fanta, Tizer, Tango, Lemonade ect

(I'm from the North West of England)
  9. Mandy1

Mandy1 Antiquities Friend & Senior Member

10. fms

fms Well-Known Member

I'm boring, and call them what they are :tongue:
    Irn bru=Irn Bru...
    Etc :biggrin:
  11. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Well since living in Edinburgh, where all soft drinks are known by their generic name 'juice', I'm afraid I find myself doing the same. So a can of juice can be anything like Coke, orange, lemonade etc.
  12. NotSureAnymore

NotSureAnymore Well-Known Member

Well I live Arizona.. and I call soft drinks soda. My ex is from Chicahgo, and he calls soft drinks pop.

I've heard some Arizonians call soft drinks, sody pop lol.
  13. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Soda...LA born and raised.
  14. flowerpot

flowerpot Well-Known Member

Fizzy drink, lemonade (even when it's not lemon lol) or just their name coke, fanta, pepsi, etc.
  15. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I usually refer to all as a group = soda
  16. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Dang...I should have done a poll on this. :biggrin:
  17. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I'm a New Englander so soda it is.

Though some of the maniacs(people from Maine :p) to the east of here still say tonic.
  18. Kunera

Kunera Well-Known Member

I refer to soft drinks as Pop.
  19. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Haha that's so true.

Unless it's a glass bottle of juice then a lot of people call it 'ginger'...that might be more of a west coast thing.
  20. plates

plates Well-Known Member

fizzy drink
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.