What do you do for a living?

What would you like to know?
Nothing I should really be asking. What type of public official are you? Unless that's too much to tell.
I’m a member of a county legislative body. A few meetings every month so I’d say it doesn’t count as real work. Before and during the campaign I suppose I was in a mild depressive state but since I won I’ve been pepped up since. I’ve sort of gone in and out of that state for a few years now.

I guarantee that if I specified what I do/did for a living, that and the rather personal information we give in the ordinary course of posting would let someone find out who I am, especially if they were trying to find out if I participate and what I am posting. That is risky for many of us.

Sometimes revealing specific professions or trades causes people to jump to conclusions that are not valid, also.

I don't think we always have the country the member is from, and I would like that, especially if they are posting about the health system, etc. I hate to keep asking members, "Where do you live?" Certainly if the member would rather not specify, then that's fine.

Last edited:

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I don't think we always have the country the member is from, and I would like that, especially if they are posting about the health system, etc. I hate to keep asking members, "Where do you live?" Certainly if the member would rather not specify, then that's fine.
We were once going to get an add-on to the forum that would put a flag next to you with the country you are from but decided that people might not like that but I also thought it was a cool idea and would be useful not to have to keep asking over and over again.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
What haven’t I done for a living?

I’ve worked in restaurants, I’ve worked retail, I’ve worked in call centers, I worked for the phone company, I was a dockworker, I was a census-taker, I was a trucker, I was a baker, I was a dog groomer, I test drove prototype cars for an engineering firm (that was a fun one), I was security at a strip club (super fun for about the first week, then really really boring), and I was a janitor. In my entire life I’ve had only one job that lasted longer than a year because I just can’t keep my assorted neuroses and anxieties in check enough to function long-term.

Now, I don’t do jack-shit. I collect food stamps and sell bodily fluids for weed money and hide in my trailer all day long while all the real people go out and contribute to the world. Pathetic, eh?

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I’m a scientist. Like Cate, I don’t want to reveal more details than that, bc it would make me too recognizable to anyone who had ever met me in real life.

I also have trouble with people’s reactions with my profession. So many people will say “you are so smart”. What do I say to that? Sure, objectively I’m smart but that’s kind of neither here nor there. I know many very smart people in all sorts of professions and with or without degrees.

Oh, and I’m in the US.

cymbele

SF Supporter
I am a female engineer and yes I always get the comment "you must be so smart!" GRRRR. But I have a lousy employment history because I get stressed too easily and sometimes angry at the way I am treated so I find another job. Now that behavior is catching up with me as i approach the last 10 years of working before social security kicks in (if there is any left!). Employers question if I am going to stay long enough for them.
Yes i am in the usa.

Freyja

Not staff. Freyja with a j.
SF Supporter
I am also an engineer with different specializations. I won't say more because that kind of comments made me very insecure about it. Being called smart for such a reason makes me so uncomfortable (maybe because of low self-esteem). I can't explain it... Nowadays I can't talk about my work.

I also teach kids and young adults in my free time because I love it.

I am from a small country in Europe. ;) Though I've already mentioned it on the forum, even my city.

@Walker Would the flag be so different when we're already allowed to put our country next to our username? It's also nice that we can put whatever we want (like I do with "Europe"). :)

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Being called smart for such a reason makes me so uncomfortable (maybe because of low self-esteem).
I think part of it for me is low self esteem, like I hate taking compliments, but also like...I’m surrounded by all sorts of people in my job, all with advanced degrees, and ...there are different kinds of smart. Also I think I have this complex where when I was in school I was “the smart one” and I think that led to a lot of people assuming things about me and not befriending me.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00