what do you do to distract yourself at night?

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by oval, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oval

oval Well-Known Member

its not as lonely as it is frustrating.
  2. Patches

Patches Active Member

A good movie helps take my mind off things, recently I've got into comics so I'll read those. I can't sleep tonight, and negative thoughts are taking over, so I'm reading Batman: Year One, it's really good.
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I watch a movie or a TV series on DVD
    currently up to series 6 of 'House'
    been through, 'Monk', 'Doc Martin', '2half Men', 'Dead like me',
    they seem to take my mind off my problems while I'm 'into them'
  4. jessiebelle

jessiebelle Member

I used to watch TV shows I was into or movies. I read a lot. At the moment though nothing distracts me from my suicidal thoughts and urges to self harm. I am really lucky though, I live with my best friend who knows what I'm going through and the past few weeks he has read to me until I fall asleep, and stays the night with me if I don't feel safe from hurting myself.
  5. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I read. Used to watch quite a bit of tv, too, but last year I opted not to get the cable hooked up when I moved to a new place. Television had become a source of frustration and annoyance for me. Commercials getting on my nerves more than usual, quality of shows going downhill. I think it was a good decision, but now I don't have any relaxation method that is completely braindead like tv was. There's the computer, but I have to sit at my desk for that. Video games require activity and attention. Reading is tiring after a couple hours too. I dunno.
  6. alexman

alexman Banned Member

i cant distract myself i am too fubar so propavane and imovane <3
  7. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Reading distracts me. Getting lost in a book allows you to really get lost in someone else's life and you no longer have to deal with your own shit. I love it :p
  8. snickers

snickers Member

Is it just me or is it really hard to find something new and interesting to watch
  9. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

I listen to music and play computer games. I also watch TV shows or movies.
  10. Terra

Terra Well-Known Member

playing computer games, drawing in photoshop or if I want something braindead I watch some anime or animated movie.
    I've found the One Piece is the best for me. 523episodes and only halfway trought the plot.. wich pretty much is about furfilling your dreams
  11. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

SF and music simultaneously
  12. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Lately it's been listening to music, but usually it's reading or watching my Friends boxset!
  13. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Recently sf and movies/tv series.
  14. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

lately it's been music and chess.
  15. Mirikun

Mirikun Well-Known Member

I used to read and go on the Internet, but I've recently started doing laundry and cleaning my bathroom when I can't sleep. It makes me feel good about myself like I've accomplished something and I can usually sleep again afterwards haha. (':
  16. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Well.. I've distracted myself with games, movies, music...

It aint living. It's hiding and not dealing with the feelings, or saying im better than them. Excuse me whilst i wallow in music and beat myslf up with the reality that it's a colossal waste of time, yet it isnt.
  17. Roo

Roo Account Closed

Internet browsing, listen to music or read, anything to distract me from thinking about the next day.
  18. Cowburn

Cowburn Well-Known Member

Music and browsing the internet.
  19. BeingMe

BeingMe Well-Known Member

Tv series.
    or in severe cases, clean.
  20. ZasuArt

ZasuArt Well-Known Member

I have a self-imposed "no internet when I should be sleeping" rule that I'm pretty good about honoring. Since I can only manage 0-2 hours of sleep a night lately (3 if I'm lucky), I think my brain would just turn to mush if I allowed myself to surf all night. I read a lot and write. I used to sketch like a maniac, but I've been so low on creative inspiration lately, my sketchbook is lonely. I try not to just lay there and worry, but I generally do just that for hours at a time before forcing myself to get up and read, write or sketch or find a movie. I love art horror, independent films, psychological thrillers and documentaries. I'd rather chew off my arm than watch almost any romantic comedy or big commercial blockbuster.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.