What do you do to get yourself out of bed during depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by bluepotatoe, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluepotatoe

bluepotatoe Active Member

I have a hard time just getting any work done, even normal everyday activity like doing chores is difficult, I am too depressed to focus and spent most of the time in bed or watching TV.

When I'm in a normal mood I feel like so guilty from the long months of depression, and I think "next time I'm depressed I'll force myself to do work!", but I'm still struggling....

any advice or tips that has worked for you?
  2. bluto

bluto Member

Try getting up, have a shower, walk outside and drink a strong coffee. That helps me... not that I do it that often though (don't know why I don't).
  3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out how to do that too. I know that the last two years that I held a job, I had to say to myself, "staying home don't pay the bills."

I'm very scattered about getting things done. I live with two other people and I chose which area I would be responsible for. My responsibility is the paper work and I struggle to do that but at least it helps me to not stress over other stuff that would make it worse for me.

4. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

im also camt realy get out of bed for hours...i spend my time only in bed,tv,net....i usally cant study.
    i convence myself to do what i like in the 1st thing in the early morning dirictly like facebook or song i love before even go to bath. thats ussaly help
  5. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

6. LivingOn

LivingOn Well-Known Member

Thanks. That site has some helpful information on it.
    I've tried coffee (works!), mate tea, a peppermint scented shower, exercise, and inducing myself with a reward of some sort, usually chocolate or coffee. The trouble with coffee is that you have to get out of bed to make it. If I make it the day before, it's cold and the aroma doesn't fill the air. So...I have to talk myself up out of bed to make coffee!
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

To be honest, I don't do anything.. I just wait for it to pass, fortunately it doesn't last long. Hope you're able to get past this soon :hug:
  8. Seano

Seano Well-Known Member

Days like these, I just pretend I'm a robot. That's what the world wants from me so it makes sense to act like it.
  9. bluepotatoe

bluepotatoe Active Member

Thanks for link! and the feedback, they are all helpful. I try to do something in short spurts at a time...

Unfortunately these days seems to last too long, it's so disruptive. How long does your episode last? are you able to hang out with friends during those time? I tend to be anti-social and therefore friendships are hard to maintain or even establish...
  10. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

In a physical sense, when you gotta go to the bathroom in the morning..you gotta go, no way in hell I'm cleaning that up, cause I jsut don't feel like it...Once I'm up, I might as well think of something to do...
  11. Rybread

Rybread Member

Rum always gets me out of bed.
  12. Kris.T

Kris.T Well-Known Member

I just roll until I hit the floor. Then I'm left with the option of laying on cold hardwood floor, or getting up.
  13. SadPandaBear

SadPandaBear Well-Known Member

with one foot at a time..
  14. Rybread

Rybread Member

Hitting the floor just makes me want to get back into bed......or reach for more rum...
  15. pither

pither Well-Known Member

I too have trouble with motivation and concentration in even the simplest of tasks during a bout of depression..... fortunately I have a wonderful sister who keeps me in check and doesn't let me fall in too deep.

Without her I find that showers help A LOT.
  16. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I think if you can get to the point where you can force yourself to at least start something, thats half the battle. Use to think coffee worked for me, not so sure, showers can make me tired actually. Fresh air can work, but it also wastes a lot of time in a crunch. Sometimes its just a matter of starting whatever it is....and hopefully you get some sort of momentum to continue. Also, nothing works better than a deadline, and that deadline needs to carry a stick with it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.