What do you do when you think it's too late to help?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Incurious, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incurious

Incurious Well-Known Member

I've just replied to lexicon in the crisis section. He's said that he's near death, and he's no longer online...

What the hell do you do in this situation?!?!

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

You are helping by talking to him...and it's really up to each person to get help...we can only hope that they do get the help they need. But you shouldn't beat yourself up over something that's beyond your control.

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Once had the dreadful ordeal of being on the phone with someone commiting suicide (was working for the Samaritans at the time).
    Time seemed suspensed, thankfully at the last minute he let me call an ambulance.
    Hope your outcome is as good.

4. Incurious

I bet that was a huge feeling of relief Terry.

I didn't even get to chat with Lexicon...I only replied in his thread. I still feel very bad though.

5. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

It seems all you can do is just pray and hope for the best. If you had his location, to call emergency services for him/her, if possible. I've never been in that situation before, but it must be incredibly horrible, terrifying, stressful beyond belief. But I fear someday, I will put the very few loved ones that still care about me right now in that same spot, where I will be on the brink of committing suicide and they will desperately try to stop me.

But that is why I also hope for everyone to hate me so that nobody will feel sorrow at my passing. I've not yet experienced the sorrow of losing a loved one, but I can only imagine how excruciating it is. I don't want to put anyone through that at my suicide, so I want to alienate everyone around me beforehand.

6. Incurious

Lexicon's been since, and he's posted in his thread also.

But yeah, considering I knew nothing about him I was still panicking a fair amount.

Rahul - Agree'd. I'd at least tell everyone I care about that I was moving to New Zealand or something. But then that'd put a bit of pressure on me. So I'd probably go to New Zealand... I love the accent at least.

7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

That is always a tough spot to be in. If you have information you have the choice to make about calling for help and even that can be a challenge. You don't always know if there truly is a crisis situation and if you do call and things are fine it can be an issue in the future. If you don't call and something happens, you feel guilty for it. As others have said, it ultimately boils down to the individual themselves. If you know for sure an attempt has been made, then don't hesitate to intervene if you have the information and ability to do so. I have found that the majority of the times, the person moves beyond the crisis and is back eventually. It doesn't always work that way though and those are the extremely tough times. As an individual you can only do so much. Continue to offer support as you can and still remain in a safe place for yourself emotionally. It does no one any good if you fall into crisis mode because of it. I know this sounds harsh, but it is the best we can do given our limitations. I hope it helps a little. :hug:

8. ExtraSoap

ExtraSoap Well-Known Member

this happened to me, and lest just say it didn't go very well. I don't go near that section anymore, I can't deal with it. It's terrible knowing that there's someone who needs help out there but there's nothing you can do to help except type on a computer. Just tryin to say that I know that feel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.