What do you do???

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by reptor, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reptor

reptor Well-Known Member

When you tell your best friend, the person you hold closest in your heart, the person you trust with every thought and emotion, that you plan to kill yourself and that all the plans are in place and all they say is "stop it and stop thinking like that". You ask for help and they tell you "go see your doctor I can't help you".

Biggest slap in the face and just about the final push over the proverbial edge...

2. foreverYoung180

foreverYoung180 Well-Known Member

your friend is probably just really scared of what you told him/her. they probably didnt know how to handle a response to that and thats why they acted like that. its something most people dont talk about or know how to handle. i know its really hard to admit that to a friend, and im sorry they didnt react and talk to you about it like you wouldve wanted. i know you probably wanted them there for you. give them a second chance though, when did you have this conversation? they'll probably call, talk to you..if they don't end up being there..maybe they weren't a true friend...

3. reptor

reptor Well-Known Member

The conversation was had earlier today and we've spoken since. The topic is completely avoided. They seem to be pushing me away. This is the closest person in my life and has been for the last 10 years. I hope it's just a metter of them being scared or confused as to what to say. It would be the most hurtful thing in the universe if I find out now they weren't really a friend after all.

They always told me I could trust them with every secret and always talk about anything with them. They actually know every intimate detail of myself and my life. Scary to think they might not be someone I could talk to after all.

4. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

That's a pretty big task to ask of someone. If someone tells you they have everything set to commit suicide then asks you to help them, how do you respond to that? What your friend said wasn't the warmest but like foreverYoung said, they're probably just worried and don't know how to handle it. Friends are great support, but asking for something like that is almost like putting your life in their hands, it would make anyone uneasy regardless of how much they care about you.

5. reptor

reptor Well-Known Member

I can understand you point about making them uneasy. But not even a question of Are you sure or Is there anything anyone can do. I was brushed off with out so much as a care and they actually said I'll see you later like nothing at all happened. It's just so surreal to me.

6. June

June Well-Known Member

What do you mean?! You want them to ask if you are sure about it? I think they must be great friends if you have them for about 10 years and can trust them and that they know everything about you. You should appreciate them. I mean, how would you react if someone is telling you that they want to kill themselves? I guess for everyone it is very hard to handle that kind of situation. What do you expect them to do? You said in other posts that you tried doctors, therapists, helplines etc and it didn't work for you. The only thing your friends can do is being there for you, continue talking to you and just continue being your friends. Please don't take that in a bad way, but I can understand them. It's tough for them and they might not know how to deal with it. Maybe you should just sit together with them and explain them what's going on with you right now. I'm sure they will understand.

7. reptor

reptor Well-Known Member

June...

i've tried over the past several days to talk to them again and again. The only thing they say is "stop thinking like that" that is an exact quote. Go get meds and get some help. I've told them I'm beyond that and want to talk but they just change the subject and act like everything is fine. I'm not wanting them to ask if I'm serious. I want them to realize I'm serious. It's not like I've made threats to harm myself in the past. not like this has been a topic of discussion before. I just thought they would actually react and not just move on.

8. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

You say you were asking them for help, what help where you expecting?

9. reptor

reptor Well-Known Member

Someone who would at least listen. Let me vent some stuff out. Let me try and get it off my cheast. Didn't expect them to make me feel stupid for feeling the way I do.

I even tried to tell them how their rejection made me feel and they told me I was being rediculous.

10. NotMyNormalSN

NotMyNormalSN Active Member

I was talking to my best friend last night telling him how bad of a spot I was in and the bastard said "don't worry, be happy"

11. reptor

reptor Well-Known Member

I can relate to that very very well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.