What do you do?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by In Limbo, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I posted a vid on my youtube channel recently - amongst other things posting this question as well as giving some answers of my own.

What are the things you do to combat your depression?

Would be interested to hear some answers.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

go for long walks listento music watch comedy take warm bath see my grandaughter children always make me laugh phone someone and jsut talk about anything try not to isolate so much it helps too.
  3. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

Besides coming here?

I play with my cats. They can help me laugh over the smallest things they do.

I make a special dinner or lunch or snack. Just something that I know will make me feel good. Like last time I cooked a quesadilla.
  4. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I throw myself into working how I'm capable of. Its helped immensely especially in the last 2 weeks (12 days out of the last 15 i've worked now - today (feb 13) being day 15). My boss has been more impressed with how i'm working.

Also I've beeen working a lot on musical compositions, and finishing a number of them is also satisfying.
  5. MisterBGone

I try to do the following things: play my guitar/sing, go for long drives in my car listening to good music, go to my favorite coffee shop (there's three of them!) & read or write, take a walk around nearby university campus (always makes me feel younger & re-energized), go to the pool for some lap swimming, go out to dinner, go to a movie, think about writing my screenplay & how I'm going to make my film (I can dream can't I?); I do do all of these things alone, but boy do they do wonders when I'm feeling down!!!
  6. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

-sleep 12+ hours a day when possible
    -isolate (more than usual)
    -take the meds that are supposed to help but haven't yet
    -self harm (please don't do this)
    -sit on the internet and watch videos or lurk forums

the most counter productive of all:

-try to do the things that I used to enjoy and inevitably become frustrated when I fail to derive any enjoyment from them.
  7. Descendant

Descendant Account Closed

-go on long walks with the dog, I live near a state park so I try and spend as much time out there as possible away from people

-try and read a book which is getting harder and harder because I can't find one that I'm interested in anymore

-was playing video games alot but sold my console to try and stop that, being obsessed with pixels is just stupid

-sleep/dream as much as I can, I purposely set my alarm to wake me up every few hours so I can dream more

-smoke (trying to quit this too)

That's about it.
  8. Joshua2803

Joshua2803 Well-Known Member

im sure you have been told this before, but it really helps to write about your problems. Especially if you are not comfortable with talking to others about your depression. king david, a well known man in history and in the bible was known for writing down his problems in song.when you write during you time of depression it help keep your thinking ability. (Proverbs 3:21)

here is a artcle that you might enjoy reading on what to do if your depressed.
  9. badlife

badlife Active Member

go on my computer
    work on my car
    listen to music
    thats about itfor me
  10. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Usually talking to friends helps. Now I don't seem to have any, so that sucks.
  11. rv498

rv498 Well-Known Member

Best depression crushing experience I had was working as a fedex ground (not express, they are not that busy) driver. I mean you are constantly busy, physically (this is the key) and mentally for long hours. After the day is done, you feel great. You can eat anything you want, drink anything you want and still maintain slim and athletic because the work burns off so many calories. Find a job like that, it will just destroy your depression.
  12. traveling, meeting, live music. I also read and watch stories on "disable persons" and learn from them to be strong.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.