What do you drink? (non-alcohol that is)

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Frances M, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I'm bored with my bevvies.... o_O

I gave up alcohol 2 weeks ago (yay! two weeks!!!) and I'm getting super bored. I can only handle one coffee a day and occasionally have a hot chocolate (milk based). Teas give me heartburn sadly...herbal teas are good, but again, bored with them.

I like water when it's really cold but as crazy as this sounds, I find the taste of water too sweet. I drink juices...I've looked up "mocktails" for different juice combos.

I drink very little soda but I've been leaning on 7up with bitters for flavour. But those sugary sodas give me acne, bah. I'm trying mineral water with some lime too...I'm seeing now how much I loved the taste of my white wine spritzers...I need something interesting to drink.

Does anyone have suggestions? I'm really having issues with this. Big problems huh?

2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

How about mineral water mixed with juice. Or water with lemon or lime.

Frances M likes this.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Almond milk (the unsweetened one) It is delicious.

Frances M likes this.
  4. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

I drink a lot of tomato juice. I love very cold. It's salty but i take it as a lesser evil than fat or sugar.

Frances M likes this.
  5. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried to mix mineral water with cranberry and it was pretty good, just like...a shot of cranberry for flavour.

I actually have chocolate almond milk in the cupboard somewhere! I tried the unsweetened one Petal and for me it's an acquired taste!

And I forgot about the tomato juices...I used to love V8 too, they have a low salt one I think. I remember putting ice cubes in it, I like it cold too.

I have to get used to the taste of water again...it's just that where I live we can't drink the tap water because of the high iron levels in the well, so we have to buy the bottled stuff. That's the water I find too sweet. At my last place, the landlord had a water softener with a salt filtration system to counter the iron and I liked the taste of that water.

6. ghostangelcake7

ghostangelcake7 Well-Known Member

Green tea (organic) sweetened with rock sugar!

Frances M likes this.
  7. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I have never heard of rock sugar! I had to look it up, I don't know if I've ever seen that here! It looks really good though.

8. suzi

suzi Well-Known Member

I put a splash of white vineagar in two liters of water.

Frances M likes this.
  9. ghostangelcake7

ghostangelcake7 Well-Known Member

I ordered it through amazon.com and it's made by the tea company 'teavana', it sweetens without altering taste..I highly recommend it, and especially if you don't want to consume much refined sugar or use honey.

Frances M likes this.
  10. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Actually teavana is the site that popped up when I did a search! Yeah, I don't use honey because it gives me heartburn and I'm trying to stop using refined sugar. I put a little maple syrup in my coffee, the pure stuff not the corn syrup crap. But maple syrup doesn't work well with green tea! :confused:

11. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I should try that with white wine vinegar! Maybe it'll taste like a spritzer, wishful thinking ;)

12. Ah, I'm a beverage connoisseur myself as I am under the drinking age. Here's some ideas for you-

White grape juice can sorta taste like wine sometimes, it depends on how sweet it is. I am an avid green tea fan- does that trigger you by any chance? It has tons of health benefits and can help with detox so I highly recommend it! My favorite mocktails are a virgin mimosa (sprite+orange juice) and Sherly Temples.
    There's quite a few drink mixers that get you the flavor of the hard beverage without the alcohol- I'm personally a big fan of bloody mary mixer, it has a wonderful flavor! Maybe that can also curb your cravings.

if you want a wonderful cold treat, try this: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/...e-reds-apple-freeze-from-the-cozy-cone-motel/

I also love Hot cocoa, slushies (blue raspberry and cherry mixed!!), iced coffee. What I like doing is adding sugar while it's still a little hot and then putting some vanilla almond milk in. It is to die for in my opinion! There's a wonderful world of beverages without alcohol, have fun exploring it! Smoothies can be really fun to make at home and are soo tasty when you use frozen fruit and mix it with fresh fruit that's in season! My step mother throws a little kale in too, which I think gives the drink a full body and some flavor depth.

As for a sugar alternative- you MUST try Agave syrup. It is sweeter and tastier than sugar!! My favorite teacher ever introduced me to it- and I've been hooked! I also like using raw honey and a little lemon in my green tea. (which tastes great with a little milk too! Try matcha varieties with milk- sometimes they don't need milk but they are soo good!!)

Frances M likes this.
  13. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Hi @DayDreamerStratus , thanks for the big list! I've used Agave before, unfortunately it's $11.99 for a small bottle here, a little too pricey for me but I agree, it was very good. I'm a big fan of coffee drinks but I always have to watch the caffeine, I buy decaf coffees too to make cappuccinos and café au lait. I'm trying to avoid those drink mixers, I don't want anything that resembles too much a cocktail because it might trigger me a little bit, but the mixed mocktails are quite nice. I love Shirley Temples too! I have some Grenadine that I mix into my pineapple/orange/mineral water. My bf said it tastes like a Singapore Sling without the booze.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I never thought about a smoothie. It's a good way to get fresh fruit into my diet too. :)

I might give green tea another go, I've tried it before and really didn't like the taste. That apple slush recipe looks delicious! Thanks for the link :)

14. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I drink Pepsi, and really need to stop drinking it. It is so horrible for you.

Frances, have you tried chocolate soy milk. I drank that for a while and really liked it. Had to stop because I drank too much of it. Somehow the word moderation seems to have been left out of my life style.

Frances M likes this.
  15. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I could drink lots of 7up each day....but at 120 calories each...that adds up! I used to drink Diet Pepsi like water, but I guess I'm blessed with heartburn when I drink colas now, so I can't take that habit up again. I have a food intolerance to soy, can't digest it well, though I do love the chocolate almond milk and the chocolate hemp milk. I'm gathering a list together because Thursday is shopping day. I'm craving V8 now! Moderation doesn't work for me either lol...that's why I couldn't simply cut down on the wine, it's all or nothing in a lot of cases for me!

16. @Frances M hmm if I find a good deal for a nice big bottle online I shall let you know :) It's good that you watch your caffeine intake though, a lot of people don't! My father and stepmother always worry about me having too much themselves actually. I definitely understand what it's like to have food and beverages be your enemy though! D: I can't drink as much hot cocoa these days or my stomach gets really upset. Have fun experimenting!! :)

Frances M likes this.
  17. avalanchefan95

avalanchefan95 Well-Known Member

Wait, wait, how can water be sweet but you drink soda and other sweetened stuff?! I don't get it. :eek:o_O

18. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Peppermint tea

19. Healthanxious

Healthanxious New Member

I usually drink plenty of water if possible more than 8 glasses a day. But, honestly, I drink coffee a lot. Although, I tried to balance it by having milk and fruit juice once in awhile. I heard drinking wine is good in moderation only. But, then I found some options that proves to be healthy. You may try looking at these article entitled: 8 Healthiest Drink

20. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Eh. Water, diet pepsi or pepsi max lately