what do you feel after you had a therapy?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by asking_advice, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

what do you feel after you had a therapy?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I feel like a huge weight has been liften from my shoulders, I feel relaxed, comfortable, happy, and every other good feeling. Damn I miss therapy :blub:

3. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I never felt anything different after therapy. It didn't have any effect on me.

4. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

Depends. Sometimes I feel better. Sometimes a problem we've been talking about doesn't get resolved by the end of the hour. Those are the bad sessions. Once, my old terepist took me to a place I didn't want to go to in the last ten minutes of the session and I walked home crying. I called him up and said if he ever did that again to me, I'd never come back. At the next session, he appologised and promised it wouldn't happen again.

5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Sometimes I felt like I was getting nowhere. Sometimes I would learn something that would give me great relief or a new direction. Re-writing my everyday belief system (not religion) was one of the best things I could have done for myself.

When therapy got uncomfortable it meant I was close to something that needed to be worked on. I know that I can work on the hard stuff in stages. Trying to tackle it all at once is too hard and can re-traumatize me.

Sometimes I just didn't like the therapist or their methods. I don't like those who come on strong and use words like "come on now." That is degrading.

I know I can shop around for a therapist.

6. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

somedays it makes me feel good, somedays i walk out of there and want to kill myself more.

7. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

I usually come out of therapy thinking "well that was the most pointless hour of my life", cause they just don't seem to get it, no one does

8. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

Sometimes I walk away like I just got a huge "emotional hug" that lasts - no he doesn't touch me, sometimes things are discussed that hurt, or give relief, or insight...I journal during the week and bring it in because I get panicked and many times blank out - not remembering what I wanted to cover or what I even need help with.

Most times there isn't enough time and we increase the number of visits when that happens. Other times it may take a couple of days just to process what we have talked about.

It always produces growth - sometimes building strength, sometimes giving direction, sometimes understanding. He doesn't always "get it" but he always tries and is available if needed since that was part of the "contract". If I began this journey of healing from the horrific past and its effects on me - he would always call back and be there for me to the best of his ability.

You have to find a therapist that will work with you the way you need. At first - I was too far removed and just the routine visits and constant regard was needed before I could even start the "work" of therapy. I had removed myself from feeling and had retreated into emotional and many times physical isolation.

I have such trouble with trust that it took at least a year before I could say that we were really having productive sessions. It is hard - but worth it.

Now - I come out of therapy feeling like I have accomplished something.
    It has taken three years of sticking with it to get to this point.

9. papertiger

papertiger Member

Some therapy was useless, it didn't affect me at all.
    Good therapy made usually made me feel better, like getting a weight off my chest or sometimes just made me think and re-evaluate what I was feeling.

I also had a poor relationship with a therapist where I left every session feeling more frustrated and angry than when I started. I had to stop because I felt like I was only going to make my parents feel better that I was getting help.

10. LivingOn

LivingOn Well-Known Member

Relieved that it's over.

11. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

Hopeless. No one can help me.

12. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

therapy is pointless, i could have used a decent therapist about 18 months ago

13. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I have been in therapy for four years and made progress in some areas.. Here lately I started missing sessions because both my therapist and my sister had started pushing me to get out of the house and socialize with people.. They just don't understand the fear I have of people..I called and cancelled my appointments this month and for the next couple of months..I feel I have come to a stand still..I need to do some serious thinking about going back and what I want to get out of it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.