What do you need?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by IntoTheWoods, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IntoTheWoods

IntoTheWoods Guest

I am trying hard to notice my lows before they become overwhelming and it becomes too late to pull back. Also to try and find out what I can do when I get in that weird place when my brain seems to change.

I see a therapist who is encouraging me to identify my needs but so far I deny that I have any(he doesn't believe me) . So I was just wondering whether others can identify what their needs are both in daily life, but also when feeling really low. Maybe it will help me to start to explore what mine may be.

2. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Here is what I came up with, although I am sure I have more needs that I am not aware of at the moment.

Needs in daily life:

1) to be around other people whom I feel I can make a connection with
    2) to feel loved
    3) to accept and embrace who I am as I grow older

Needs when I am feeling really low:

1) to be forgiving of myself
    2) to be willing to acknowledge that I am not well
    3) a support system (i.e. family)
    4) hope
    5) coping skills

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
  3. IntoTheWoods

IntoTheWoods Guest

Thanks Speedy - there are a couple there which I think may be important for me to explore with my T - I know I am not very accepting of myself and I don't acknowledge that I am not well when I get low, which may be part of my confusion at those times. My T has always discouraged me from seeking a "label" which means again I don't accept that I may be unwell and just end up being self critical at those times.

Soup

4. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

High quality mass-socialization

5. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

About three million quid should do it

6. northstar

northstar Active Member

Hi Speedy, sounds like you're off to a good start even without a list yet. you are putting in this effort and that could be showing you are aware, even if subconsciously, that you may have needs to address

I have trouble with identifying my needs, too.. I pretty much ignore them..

I guess food and sleep are big ones.
    a clean living space
    socialization, talking to someone and not staying alone in my head all day

these are hard to face and give to myself sometimes.
    how do you feel about those needs?

7. Sleep

Sleep Active Member

I need to go back to my mental health centre. They thought I was better, I said I was better but I'm sinking lower and lower. My arms are slashed, I'm on valium and opiates and live for self-harm and drugs. I find it difficult talking to my doctor and won't book an appointment but I need help, big time. :cry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.