what do you prefer to be called?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by emily83, Jul 16, 2013.

?

how do you like being refered to?

1. your full name- no shortened form

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. a shortened form

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. a nickname

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. anything's good

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

okay... this thread i had the idea for because of a conversation i was having about names- and how it annoys me when people shorten names.. melisa to mel, rachel to rach, etc. you've been given a name, and in my view, you should be refered to it in full- so posting this poll to see what you all think:

2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

It depends upon who the person is. Among friends, shortened is fine. Full name when it is official business or "when you're in trouble." :)
    A nickname is fine if it's within a certain group of friends or those with similar interest (for instance, in a forum like this... nickname/username is appropriate).
    In a business situation, "Mr." and last name is correct.

3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

No one calls me by my first name except people I knew in high school and professional colleagues. Even in volunteering, they called me Ms. A, instead of my full first name because it's complicated. My family calls me by middle name - some of them don't even know what my first name is at all. I prefer to be called a shortened version of my middle name.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

It depends really. My full name is Alexandra and only my parents call me that lol. Everyone else url calls me Alex. At work I am addressed as Alex or RN **** (my last name) for documentation purposes. But here everyone calls me Lexi :) some people irl call me Lexi too but mostly Alex.

5. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

some of your family don't know your first name?

i find that an interesting theory..... hmm

6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Usually by my first name, but I've been called by my last name, especially when I was in school, and by a couple friends. Occasionally I get called Chris for short, or other weird nicknames :p

7. Aether

Aether Well-Known Member

My real name, Oana, has the same pronouncement as wanna, but I don`t have any preferences as long as they`re not insulting..

8. Snake

Snake Well-Known Member

Anything's good.

Though I really hate it when this girl calls my name in such a playful and lovely manner, it hurts a lot.

9. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

My name is Tyler. It's already short enough that people don't seem to feel the need to cut it down to a single syllable. People only used nicknames for me when I was in public school, and those names were mostly some derogatory form of my unusual last name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.