What do you tell future(or current) employers...?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by sinnssykdom, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I have a job but i'm not happy with the hours im getting so i'm going to start applying for either a second job or if something with more hours pops up ill quit my current job all together. Anyway, my current job is pretty chill about taking time off so whenever i have been unable to work do to mental health related issues i've just called in sick for days or told them i cant come because of personal reasons or something like that. Anyway now what do you say to future employers do you warn them in advanced that you may have to take time several days off at a time due to personal reasons or health reasons or do you come right out and say you have x and you are sometimes unable to work. I don't know i don't want my chances of employment to go down because of it but at the same time i don't want it to come as a surprise.

2. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Just be honest at the interview and say that you have mental health problems and possibly require days off.

3. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

A few suggestions.

Look for type of job that can give you free time when needed, nothing intensive that requires extra hours.

Dont setup yourself for failure, make sure you can do it

Dont alarm your future employers but be honest, in other words tell them that you may require time off but dont go into details

just go for it

4. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

Like angerfist said just be honest. As long as you do your best at the job and show them that you're a motivated worker and care about the job, they won't have a problem with you needing time off.

I over hear my managers at my job talking and they can tell who calls out for bullshit reasons versus the people who have a legitimate reason.

You'll be fine:). I wish you luck in the job search!

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Do NOT give details. Mental illness discrimination is very real.

You might say that you have had recurrent short term health problems and have needed to take a few days off from time to time, but you should not tell them that they're related to mental health, and they cannot ask.

I haven't been discriminated against myself, but I have been warned by psychiatrists to keep it under wraps. I'd love to announce that I'm bipolar and am not ashamed, but that's simply not wise.

6. kote

kote Account Closed

i wouldnt say a word. especially mental health as it can be misinterpretated so easily.
    i got away with saying ive got diabetes but they still wanted a health check and a drs. letter.
    lucky i bailed on them day 1. - mental health issues - lol
    but its a small world where i am an could harm future prospects or even my wife's career.
    once you are employed do as you like - before that be the person they need!!!

7. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

Also do you tell them in the interview or once you've gotten hired.... I think i'm just going go with aoeu's suggestion. Telling them i have a medical condition but not specifically a mental health condition and not going any into any further detail than that with them.

8. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I've never told a prospective employer about my problems. They always eventually find out about some of it, but by that time I've been able to establish that I am relatively reliable anyway so it's not much of a problem. I do have a habit of bundling all problems into the least offputting explanation though. Say, for example, I had to miss work because i had a panic attack. Since they already know I have a sleeping disorder I just told them it had to do with that instead.

I don't know if this is the best way to go about it. The most important part of this is that I chose this job because it's fairly low stress and technically part-time, even though I work full-time hours. The benefit of that is that I can reduce my hours drastically without losing the job so long as I give them reasonable notice ahead of time.

That seems like a good idea.

9. Escapist

Escapist Well-Known Member

Like Angerfist said, it's best to be honest.
    --
    A boss often has low tolerance when it comes to taking days off frequently. But if you would be honest and tell him/her about your issues, they're made aware and can bear your issues in mind when you have to take a day off. Although understand that despite your issues you shouldn't 'Overdo' it. You are still an employee and still have to do your best at work, otherwise you'll just get replaced.
    I'm not meaning to be rude but that's just how it is

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  10. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

aeou's suggestion was the best, better not to say anything. I'm not working now and unsure how to bring up my past and current problems do in an interview, my old job had been there so long and was a good worker so they were acceptable in me taking time off for appt's and such, but for a prospective new employer it's tough bringing those things up, especially when the next person in line is fine and they don't need to make any special accomodations for.

11. chipper

chipper Well-Known Member

you have to be honest but the law allows you to hold back certain information. so the best thing is for you to consult a lawyer. what are the information you are required to disclose and what you can keep to yourself.

another thing is, go look for a job that will allow you the time off when you need it. and a job that you know you will not compromise given your condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.