What do you tell people ?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Cecilie, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cecilie

Cecilie Member

Have you been question about scars from people you don't really know that well?
    Like a co-worker you see once in a while feks.
    Do you tell three truth?

How do you tell someone in a Nice way that is non of their business?

I have some few cuts on my arm. I don't like the attention. If i cut its mostly on my legs. Very few know about it.
  2. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

Honestly I just say "shit (stuff) happens I don't like to talk about it" If it's the scars that can pass for something I say I played outdoors a lot as a kid... Which is true so I'm not really lying.
  3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i usually make something up, oh, i fell over, or oh, it's nothing.

i'm so used to people not really caring. so to me i could say anything and it wouldn't matter.

and that's ashame
  4. Cooki

Cooki Well-Known Member

I usually said that my bunny scratched me, or that I stroke a stonewall.
  5. Cecilie

Cecilie Member

Yeah its sounds like what I do too. I tell I had a accident when I was drunk..
    Or " its nothing" and change the subjekt.
    I think its a little mean to just shout out question like that. But I guess its not something people really thinks about
  6. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

sadly, it's 1 of many things so many people just won't understand.

so many people think to themselves.. why does such and such want to cut themselves, and then the even sadder truth, is that because of the stigma, we have to do all the making up of stories
  7. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

There is no nice way of telling them.
  8. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

We can always answer any question that is too personal from someone we don't want to answer in a polite way. "I'm sorry, it's private." Change the subject. Or "Thank you for your concern. It's private/I don't want to discuss it/I don't talk about it." Then change the subject.

If you wanted to be smart alec, you could be, but that almost always riles others and fuels conjecture on their part. "Thank you for minding my business, but I do quite well on my own, thanks." "Do you always pry?" "Wow! Your life must be boring if my personal life is of such concern to you."

I would go with polite! (And keep the smart alec comments only in my fantasies!)
  9. Cecilie

Cecilie Member

Thats a good point! I don't even dare to bite back in rude way. Hehehe, and yes... In my mind i could shout out what i really want to say ;) ill just go that I guess.
    People judge too fast and end up hurting me with their question. Its just the way they ask. If its sarcastic or they have a bad attitude to it... I just don't want to say even a word.
  10. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Good advice!

God the people that pry are certainly annoying.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.