What do you tell yourself?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by consciousinsane, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. consciousinsane

consciousinsane Well-Known Member

So for the past Month now my therapist has wanted to know what I am telling myself when I get depressed, angry, or stressed. I don't' know that I tell myself anything. It's like its just there. I was wondering if there was anyone who could actually tell me what they are telling themselves.

The purpose he says for this is once we figure out what we are telling ourselves. (for instance, "you need to be depressed because you suck") then we can tear it apart rationally and logically so that we will see there is no truth in it, or that there is a better solution than being so depressed and wanting to die.
  2. scared_child

scared_child Account Closed

honestly, I don't tell myself anything. Sorry.
  3. Ryo_Ohki

Ryo_Ohki Guest

dunno if this helps ya but this is what i tell myself all the time, Life Sucks And Then You Die! (been thinking that for about 2yrs) & I dont want to be here any more (been thinkin that for about 8yrs).
  4. Lyme

Lyme Guest

I don't see how this would work for me. I am not depressed for some magical reason that is only in my head. It is just there because of my current life.
  5. twilight

twilight Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly! It's easy for me to focus on the feelings of emptiness and hopelessness, The two main feelings that occupy my mind.
  6. Will

Will Staff Alumni

Hmm...I think I have always been curious as to how people would get to depressed, seeing if it was anywhere near what I do. I do call myself down alot, and I use what people say in a negative way to hurt myself...I know it's not very good.

I guess I usually use failures...doesn't matter how small, I still feel like a failure, and I'll use mean things that people say, even if they were joking...then I can attack myself on a personal level of how weak I am, and hurt what little self-respect I have.

Sorry...that's sort of depressing just talking about it...

But that's how I do it...I never knew there were that many who do the same.
  7. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I GOT depressed because of crap thats happened to me... and partly my fault too because I could have reacted differently. I've been told to do that before. Frankly, I havent tried it if I'm depressed... but if I'm really stressed or something then I try it... it helps some, sometimes, because I usually stress over little things... :blink:

8. emile_jensen

emile_jensen Guest

my emotions have never been logical. how are u supposed to tear it apart with logic when emotions have nothing to do with logic ?

maybe just try being patient and accepting the depression. if you can't get rid of it, then accept it more and more gradually.

9. just dont care

just dont care Well-Known Member

A certain thought that always comes to mind when i am at my lowest is that "no one cares, everyone is against you and if you just end it now it would be a lot easier on people if you were gone" but this thought doesnt come till i am really down.
  10. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

Your therapist is talking about faulty cognitions.

A few of mine are:

"I don't deserve to be helped, other people have it worse than I do."

"No-one would want anything to do with me if they knew I was this ill."

"I hate myself."

"I must be a crap person, because so much bad stuff happens to me. I don't deserve to be truly happy."

"My life will never get any better."

"Nobody actually gives a shit about me."

I believe that your therapist is right. What he wants to do with you can be really helpful.

If it helps you to realise what your faulty cognitions are (so that you can tell your therapist) just get a pen and paper and wite down "me", "other people", "my past", "my future", and "my life" as headers. Then, below each header, write down your immediate thoughts about that header. For example, it might start a little like this:

-Bad person

Other People

-Hate me
    -Better than me
    -Out to get me

and so on.

I'm not suggesting that those particular things are the things you will write down, they're just examples.

When you're done you can give the paper to your therapist. Good luck :).
  11. consciousinsane

consciousinsane Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. It seems to be a tough subject for a few people. I think I'll try Nobody's example. If for nothing else just to see what I'm thinking. I wonder.... I'm sitting here thinking, "I'm so stupid and such a loser because I don't even know what I am telling myself" I wonder if that could be one.
  12. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

That's definitely an example sweetheart.

Let me know how it goes.

Sorry you're feeling so bad *offers cwtches*.
  13. rivendaen

rivendaen Member

Whenever I get my episodes of depression. I put myself down and fel stupid and fat and ugly. But on t he contrary, I try to tell myself, at the same time, that im not worthless and things will eventually look up. Ive been battling this depression a nd these feelings for 8 years . I am on medication. But back tot eh point. I generally tell myself that I am worth it, even though at the time, it doesn't seem like it
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.