what do you think about people who say that suicide is selfish ?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by xsomewhatdamagedx, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xsomewhatdamagedx

xsomewhatdamagedx Well-Known Member

what do you think people who say that suicide is selfish ? well i for one don't believe that suicide is selfish at all because i know how it feels to want to end my life i have felt this way for over ten years so how the hell could i ever judge someone for having the guts to commit suicide.i know that things don't just magically sort themselves out because life isnt like one of those stupid hollywood movies where everyone lives happily ever after this is the real world full of pain and misery.people shouldn't judge us when they have no idea what we go through every single day but one human being can only take so much before they get pushed over the edge

2. distress

distress Well-Known Member

The first thing i think is that they don't fully understand the strength for someone to end their life. Wanting to live is something humans fight for every day, creating new antibiotics and other remedies for example to fight death. When someone wants to end their life its one of the most painful and hardest things to do as they are fighting against everything that runs through them. I particularly hate it when people talk them down and i have been on the receiving end of that. Doctors in fact i believe are most common for doing this, at lest where i am. I have been treated like an idiot.

Anyway that is my opinion :) feel free to differ

3. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

i agree with you.

this goes back to what was being said in another thread.

if people took the time to understand, then they would realise what is happening to us and maybe be a bit less judgemental. i think all this about suicide being selfish is totally uncalled for, when you're hurting like we are- and we think that it is the only way out then it's a perfictly valid thing to do. i for 1 (only last week) came across someone who was totally against suicide, and it really anoyed me as i didon't really want to be around them

4. xsomewhatdamagedx

i suppose that someone people ust dont want to understand i mean do they really think we want to feel like this ? do they really think that we get off on wanting to die ? i have never met anyone in my life who wanted to be mentally ill which is made even worse when they dont listen to,us talk over us and talk down to us like we're complete idiots its like talking to a brick wall because what we say never gets through to them

5. Illusion

Illusion Well-Known Member

I think they're being judgmental & they don't understand the pain someone that committed suicide was in. I don't think suicide is selfish at all. Sure it may seem that way to most considering that they chose to end it all rather than keep going for the ones in their life but thats just what happens.. Their pain outweighs their concern about anybody else. They can't help it.

6. foolnomore

foolnomore Well-Known Member

I think in a way it is true but what people don't understand unless they been there themselves is that when we get to that point we really feel it is best not just for us but thise close to us and that for the person commirtting suicide it is an act of kindness to all .It is not something we do because we are selfish ,quite the opposite it is because we care and possibly care too much. Sadly the world will judge us and only see it as a selfish act.

7. xsomewhatdamagedx

theres really no winning either way we either live in pain for the rest of our lives or we commit suicide and everyone will think we're selfish.its a totall dead end really

8. foolnomore

foolnomore Well-Known Member

True,there is just no easy answers and noway we can please everyone and ourselves.I must say though that although i am really suffering now and have had other dreadful times like this I have had good times too,it is just when we are suffering it is so hard to see that it can ever be different but we must keep telling ourselves that and hopefully we will come to believe it and can start to get out of our suicidal mode.

9. Jeserai

Jeserai Well-Known Member

I think people who say that are selfish themselves. It is my life, and if I want to end it it is up to me. Why should I have to keep on living if I don't want to. For other people? For their sakes? That is selfish I think. It is my life, I have to live it not them...

10. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I completely agree. The only time my opinion differs is when very small children are involved.

I have a friend who didn't understand at all when I first met her. She thought suicide was selfish and admitted that she couldn't understand why anyone would even consider it. Over the last 18 months, she has got to know me probably better than anyone, and now she says that although she'd be sad if I kill myself, she'd understand and who is she to stop me (except bless her, she still can't help herself from stopping me!). So when people take the time to try to understand and ask questions about it, they can understand. It's just sad that so few bother to make the effort.

Mim

11. xsomewhatdamagedx

thats another thing you cant make someone want to live just because you want them to

12. roksy

roksy Well-Known Member

I really don't understand these people. I don't understand what selfish is. If I find someone who is in pain I try to help them. I don't know how but I will help. We think a lot about others. If I didn't think so much about other people I probably would have already committed suicide.

I always thought that maybe if we had a little more courage we would have ended it. I am not sure if it works that way though. Maybe we have been conditioned to believe that suicide is cowardice so we think of it as courage.

13. xsomewhatdamagedx

i dont think suicide makes you or anyone else a coward i think those who go around murdering other people are cowards

14. pppqp

pppqp Well-Known Member

I want to punch them in the face first thing. Who do they think they are to have the right to judge other people especially when everyone' situation is different.

15. oxygenidia

oxygenidia Well-Known Member

I think that they are smug, assholes, who really don't have a clue what a person goes through before they make the decision to end their lives.

16. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I think they're selfish. For their own benefit they'd have you suffer miserably for decades.

17. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

Indeed.

18. soon2bforgotten

soon2bforgotten Well-Known Member

They just don't understand and don't even want to try to. I don't like it. Just like when someone says it's the easy way out. There is nothing easy about it to me.

19. xsomewhatdamagedx

theres nothing easy about deciding to end you're own life i think it takes real guts to admit you have have enough and that you cant go on

20. xsomewhatdamagedx

thats exactly it they want us to go on suffering just because they prefer us to.to me making someone have to live is one of the most selfish things you can do when someone is truly suffering no one should have to live to please other people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.