What do you think of this

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by damage.case, Dec 12, 2010.

1. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

My ex said she can't be with me cause she can't take the ups and downs. She knows I'm bipolar. I feel angry cause its like she doesn't want to be with me because I'm sick. Is this an appropriate emotion in this case?
  2. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

i personally think anger is fine for this. i mean i would probably be angry too, i hope with time the anger will dull. if you wanna talk feel free to ill listen however it is you feel comfy talking
  3. oval

oval Well-Known Member

hmm i dont really have a neutral point of view here bc i find myself in a pretty similar situation. and im feeling the same way as you so your certainly not alone here
  4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Yes, it's shitty.

There will always be people out there who get weaker over time- trying to keep up with people who are 'sick' like us. They could be the most compassionate and loving people you know-- but everyone has their limits.

My ex could deal with my agoraphobia and anxiety for almost 8 years before he decided to call it quits and he wanted to leave me long before then, apparently...

It is a horrible feeling to be sick and unable to 'fix' yourself for your partner.
    Sorry this happened.
    Anger is an appropriate emotion, I would say.
  5. victor

victor Account Closed

it is indeed, mate
  6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

She doesn't want to be with you because your sickness hurts her.

You can't blame her for that. It sucks on your end, but nobody ever said life was fair - especially not life with mental illness.

Use this as an impetus to improve your condition. Impotent rage will do no good for anyone.
  7. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I'd be very frustrated myself. It's difficult to succeed in a relationship with mental health issues and it's hard to come to terms with.. Here if you'd like to talk about it. :hug:
  8. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to be with me either.
  9. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

I'm Bipolar and I know that I'm very difficult to live with because of it. I think I read somewhere that only 1 in 4 relationships succeed. (Might be wrong on that though so don't panic)
    What you have to ask yourself is this:
    Were you doing everything you could to deal with your illness?
    If the answer is yes, then you have every right to be angry but regret would be a healthier emotion because you're better off out of the relationship anyway.
    If the answer is no, then you can't blame your GF. If you won't help yourself, what do you expect her to do?
    My husband has the patience of a saint when I'm trying to get better but if I slip up and fall into self pity, I'm told in no uncertain terms to get to a doctor and deal with it.
    There's only so much you can expect from a partner in life and you have to be prepared to do the work.
    Sending hugs
  10. victor

victor Account Closed

1 in 4 relationships succeed??? shit, thats way better success rate than i could ever dream about:D:D now, can u pls tell me where exactly ima supposed to look 4 girlfriend with this illness??? lol no, seriously talkin, if they luv then they luv u for better or worse
    and if they dont, then.. well.. u know..
  11. oval

oval Well-Known Member

everybody still loves themselfs more than anyone else. thats just natural. they can still love you but everyone has their own limit of putting of with constantly being hurt
  12. victor

victor Account Closed

cant agree with that smartie, im afraid. and i didnt get ur last sentence.. hmmm
  13. oval

oval Well-Known Member

i wanna delete this post but cant so nevermind
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010