• Both the IOS/ Apple Iphone/ Ipad and the Android/Google versions of the sites mobile app are now available for download from the resources page. The app is free for all members. This app will allow you to get notifications on your mobile device whenever a thread or forum you watch has a new post, when your thread or posts get replies, when you recive a private message, etc. The links to download the app are in the resoiurces area - https://www.suicideforum.com/community/resources/categories/example-category.1/

What do you think the purpose of therapy is?

Sunspots

Forum Pro
SF Supporter
I'm hoping therapy will teach me to accept the things in my past that still affect how I think so negatively today. To accept them, to mourn what was taken from me and to lay the ghosts to rest.

Hopefully I will also learn better coping strategies for when things go wrong in future.

Petal

SF dreamer
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I think the point of therapy is to let your thoughts and emotions in a safe and healthy environment and to understand why you feel like the way you do and to adjust to positive thinking instead of the constant negatives. Just my 2 cents :)

I was really lucky to have two female therapists. The first one was old enough to be my mum (and I have had a lot of problems with my mum) so in a way she gave me the parenting that I never got. She taught to think about how I felt, instead of doing what everyone else wanted all the time. She taught me about boundaries (I'd never had them before) and she was the first person I had in my life who spent time with me without putting me down or criticising everything I did.

She retired and I started seeing another therapist who was nearer to my age so she was more like a peer support for me, I think. She was really good at putting things into a different perspective and kind of teaching me what 'normal' thinking was. My upbringing was so screwed up that my perception of what constituted acceptable behaviour was really damaging for me and she helped me to understand more of what most people would consider acceptable. So I guess the purpose generally is to improve your life and help you deal with things that are harming you, for some reason? Or to make painful incidents become less painful over time?

Sevven

I was really lucky to have two female therapists. The first one was old enough to be my mum (and I have had a lot of problems with my mum) so in a way she gave me the parenting that I never got. She taught to think about how I felt, instead of doing what everyone else wanted all the time. She taught me about boundaries (I'd never had them before) and she was the first person I had in my life who spent time with me without putting me down or criticising everything I did.

She retired and I started seeing another therapist who was nearer to my age so she was more like a peer support for me, I think. She was really good at putting things into a different perspective and kind of teaching me what 'normal' thinking was. My upbringing was so screwed up that my perception of what constituted acceptable behaviour was really damaging for me and she helped me to understand more of what most people would consider acceptable. So I guess the purpose generally is to improve your life and help you deal with things that are harming you, for some reason? Or to make painful incidents become less painful over time?
Same. Perception is a beast.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$480.00
Goal
$255.00