1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think the purpose of therapy is?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Innocent Forever, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Innocent Forever

Innocent Forever Go as long as you can. And then take another step. Chat Pro SF Supporter

All thoughts appreciated....
    Thanks in advance.

Lara_C and MagickLynx like this.
  2. Daíthí

Daíthí Chat Pro SF Supporter

Personally, I think the point of therapy is to change your way of thinking to a more positive one, just my opinion though. Others may disagree

Lara_C, MagickLynx, SBV24 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lulabelle

Lulabelle SF Supporter

I'm hoping therapy will teach me to accept the things in my past that still affect how I think so negatively today. To accept them, to mourn what was taken from me and to lay the ghosts to rest.

Hopefully I will also learn better coping strategies for when things go wrong in future.

Sunday16, Lara_C, MagickLynx and 4 others like this.
  4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Seeing is Believing Forum Pro SF Supporter

Validate your feelings and your thought stream. Learning different perspectives and being more positive about yourself.

What about you @Innocent Forever

Lara_C, MagickLynx and Mercedesgirl like this.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I think the point of therapy is to let your thoughts and emotions in a safe and healthy environment and to understand why you feel like the way you do and to adjust to positive thinking instead of the constant negatives. Just my 2 cents :)

Lara_C, MagickLynx and Mercedesgirl like this.
  6. Vance Dwight

Vance Dwight New Member

It is the process to make someone to motivate and to stay positive.

Lara_C and MagickLynx like this.
  7. Sevven

Sevven Well-Known Member

For me it's identifying and breaking negative patterns. An objective outlook to help me get out of my own way.

Lara_C, BarryW and MagickLynx like this.
  8. Striking

Striking Well-Known Member

To find the root cause for your symptoms. Like a fever is the result of an infection. Depression or anxiety is a symptom of some other cause.

Deety, Lara_C and MagickLynx like this.
  9. MagickLynx

MagickLynx अनंत

One purpose it to help figure out how to form healthy attachments with people in the outside world

Another is to help us get rid of cognitive distortions

And another should be to help lay ghosts of past experiences to rest

Sunday16, Sevven and Lara_C like this.
  10. Lara_C

Lara_C SF Supporter

To identify and let go of self-limiting thoughts, beliefs and behaviours which are sabotaging the natural desire for happiness and fulfilment.

sedamDanaLjeta and MagickLynx like this.
  11. TiredToday

TiredToday Member

I was really lucky to have two female therapists. The first one was old enough to be my mum (and I have had a lot of problems with my mum) so in a way she gave me the parenting that I never got. She taught to think about how I felt, instead of doing what everyone else wanted all the time. She taught me about boundaries (I'd never had them before) and she was the first person I had in my life who spent time with me without putting me down or criticising everything I did.

She retired and I started seeing another therapist who was nearer to my age so she was more like a peer support for me, I think. She was really good at putting things into a different perspective and kind of teaching me what 'normal' thinking was. My upbringing was so screwed up that my perception of what constituted acceptable behaviour was really damaging for me and she helped me to understand more of what most people would consider acceptable. So I guess the purpose generally is to improve your life and help you deal with things that are harming you, for some reason? Or to make painful incidents become less painful over time?

Lara_C and Sevven like this.
  12. Sevven

Sevven Well-Known Member

Same. Perception is a beast.