What do you think 'triggered' your depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Zaparc©, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaparc©

Zaparc© Active Member

Was there a certain event in your life, or something someone said, that you believe may have triggered your depression?

I come from a broken home, and I've been told on more than one occasion that most people who suffer with depression come from broken homes, too. I, personally, believe the two aren't linked in any way, as my mother always cared for me to the best of her abilities.

I often sit and think, but nothing really springs to mind. I was never bullied in school, have never been humiliated, and have never lived through anything which has made me overly sad.
  2. lachrymose

lachrymose Account Closed

probably just unemployment for me.
  3. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I don't know. I've been this way since I was a child. There are plenty of things that probably contributed to it but there isn't a certain thing I can point to as the trigger.
  4. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

I had 3 people close to me die when i was 14, I was bullied from a young age but I dont think these things are what made me depressed. I think i made me depressed. Jealousy i think makes me depressed, i want what other people have - perfect body, top car, confidence. Theres just so many factors that add to it and fuel my depression :(

I dont think its so clear cut like a certain event caused depression. I think it grows and grows and its like a horrible cycle that keeps getting worse and keeps going on and on.
  5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I think I was born with it.
  6. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Yeah, the constant bullying at school for one....but the one thing that REALLY tipped me over the edge....there was someone I used to consider my best friend....we'd hang out a lot and everything, be into the same things, and one day he just turned his back on me, with no explanation whatsoever, he just didn't wanna know me again for some reason and since then I haven't had a rl best friend and that was like the turning point for my depression...yeah, he's the one I blame for all this...
  7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I have always been down..But about sixteen years ago I had a high stressed job getting yelled at and cussed at all day..Then I had a fiance at home with two animals that she called sons.. My life was hell and I had a nervous breakdown whith a suicide attempt..I have been fighting depression and other phsyc problems ever since..
  8. Mr A and the sky pilots

Mr A and the sky pilots Well-Known Member

broken home, poor famly, bullying, iraq, lack of treatment, >
  9. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Yeah, being (trigger highlight) raped pretty much pushed it over. Though the two or so years before that I wasn't particularly happy. I think it was because one of my closest friends moved to America and the other started hanging around with another group of people. Then I started a new school and it was hard on me seeing as I'm so shy. And then I went on holiday what happened happened, dropped out of school, etc. and I'm still rebuilding my life. All while having to deal with my mum constantly attacking my self esteem and trying to repair a broken relationship.
  10. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I saw my best friend in bed with my ex whom I still loved, after I told him to please not have her stay over. I didn't say anything. I just walked to class. Inside I was already filled with repressed anger, that pushed me over the edge. The depression has been unmanagable ever since. I do not blame them. They only brought out what needed to be dealt with.
    :donut: (weird emote)
  11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

It was actually anxiety that triggered it.
  12. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

13. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

My first one?
    trauma as a child and subsequent isolation
    My second one?
    chronic disease
    My third (and current) one?
    my girlfriend dumped me and all of the sudden my social life falls down like a castle of cards as all my "friends" turn away from me.

My life in a few sentences...
  14. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Um, being sucked unto a cult for 9 years that ruined my life, divorce, loneliness. The combination really set it off, altho I had periods of depression prior and was certainly predisposed to that sort of thing.
  15. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

SuicideIsTheWrongOption Well-Known Member

Life triggered my depression. If you're the religious type, God triggered it cause the cynical bastard thought it would be amusing to watch me suffer. I'll get him back for it though ;)

I know my depression is general, but there are alot of things that make it much much worse, but i'm not gonna post it here.
  16. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

my brothers suicide and now my daughters attempts all pushing me under
  17. I had put something, but it was irrelevant to the post.

For me, it was my insecurity and anxiety that 'triggered' my depression.

Although, other events have also contributed.
  18. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

stressful events..
  19. bluepotatoe

bluepotatoe Active Member

actually I don't remember ever being happy, I was always depressed at default, with occasional moments of happiness, I cried myself to sleep almost everyday till I was 13.
  20. pither

pither Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go with my sever anxiety and how I let it ruin my life all the time. Also my dad and all his problems really "triggered" it back when I was like 11.
    He's a complete bastard through and through-
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.