What Do You Think? What Would You Diagnose?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by alimar, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alimar

alimar Well-Known Member

Seeing as the so called professionals in the NHS are not taking my health seriously I am in the process of saving to afford a private consultation in the hope of seeing someone one consultant rather than some SHO who doesn’t care or certainly comes across this way.

I have suspected I was Bipolar II for over two years but never mentioned it to anyone let the professionals pick it up. They did eventually mention I could be when I was taken to A&E via the Crisis Team this year, but after seeing a PDOC on three occasions he decided it was Recurrent Depression.

Okay so a run down…

I have suffered mood swings since my teens, massive bouts of anger and have always been irritable, restless and suffered problems sleeping.

My first bout of depression came in 2000 when I was 22, I didn’t realise I was depressed it was a close friend who prompted me to see my GP after my work was suffering, I was not my normal self and I’d been pulled up at work by a manager.

GP gave me two weeks off work and Prozac which I had a reaction to, made me very irritable, restless and on edge. I didn’t return to my doctor but said to my friend I stopped taking the Prozac as I hated the affect I had on it.

From then on in, my life went down hill. My mood swings became rapid, my anger and aggression more frequent. I was paranoid, irritable, restless and liked to take risks.

I ran up a lot of debt normally when I would think would be classed as Hypomania (£10,000) which resulted in bankruptcy.

I changed jobs, never being content and friends came and went.

On top of that my self harming was comfort eating and binge drinking now and again.

I also love to gamble, anything from online, horses or the lotto and scratch cards.

This has been my life for a number of years and I am struggling to continue living like this.

I have tried several anti-depressants some have produced rapid cycling, Citalopram I am on now always leaves my mood swings more frequent but it’s take that or get severely depressed and attempt suicide again.

There is a whole other heap of stuff I have not mentioned, like making decisions then having major regrets. Starting arguments over nothing because I couldn’t control the urge not to, damaging my fathers car because I was in a mood and even this year I obtained a police caution because I lost my temper with a kid.

Would you say if you where the professional this was possible Bipolar or more like Borderline Personality Disorder.

I am confused, I’ve only just started to read about BPD so I don’t know everything about it.

My main concerns are the rapid changes in mood swings, at one point they would change every few days, but for the past 18 months they seem change hourly, daily… I just never know how I am going to feel.

I forgot to add, there may be possible Bipolar in the family. Not with my immediate parents but mum's sister, my grandma and greatgrandfather. This was told to the PDOC who didn't take it on board.
  2. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I would definitely say you needed a professional opinion, and it might help to print out your post and take it with you. However, as I was reading it and before I'd got to your question ie whether it's bipolar or bpd, I did think it sounded more like the latter. The thing about bipolar is the manic phases you think you are wonderful and can do anything, you don't sleep, have grandiose thoughts and plans. It doesn't sound from this that this fits your symptoms. However, the impulsivity of bpd (gambling, taking risks etc) seems to fit what's happened to you. Best thing is to read up a bit more on both and go to see your psych armed with as much information as possible.
  3. alimar

alimar Well-Known Member

Hello, thanks for your reply – I do appreciate it.

I’ve never experienced manic episodes like I read about but do go through a lot of hypomania and mixed episodes.

I have had some crazy flights of ideas which have resulted in me doing things I have regretted such as running away from home when I was 16, I went to France taking my parents credit card… plus I have signed up for several courses through the open university determined I could do them only to realised I stood no chance.

As for sleeping, I suffer from bouts of insomnia quite a lot can last from 1 night to a week or more at a time. Most recently this was for five days. This usually involved me not being able to sleep, not needing to sleep and having to keep busy.

I also struggle to read, having been a much lover of books I find now I lack concentration and read over the same pages again and again, same goes for watching TV or films, I have to be doing something.

I also have OCD, and obsessionl about cleaning, organising, certain numbers and routines – been like that since my teens and again I go through phases of it normally affecting my most when I am very hyper or very depressed.

Thanks again, I am determined someone will listen, hence me hoping to go private in the new year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.