What do you think??

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by freewill, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freewill

freewill Member

About 3 years ago, I enrolled in a crisis counselling course, then moved on to do telephone counselling. I stopped doing it when I made a serious suicide attempt, so as to prevent myself from being triggered.
    I've recently been considering going back to doing the counselling and was reading over the course sheets as a kind of refresher. I was reading over the suicide chapter and came across this.....

"...when the relationship with the deceased has been a troubled one, the bereaved may experience relief. This may result, for example, when someone kills him/herself after many threats, or when a relative suicides after a prolonged mental illness..."

Reading this has put me in a bit of a pickle.

What has kept me safe for the last year or so is thinking about the impact my death would have on my family. Would they feel relieved??

This bit of information has just been going round and round my head for days...
  2. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

hi freewill, difficult question without knowing all the details, but i think even if the relationship with your family has been rocky it doesnt mean they will feel relieved, it was meant i expect as a kind of genralisation.
    i would like to think that your family will be hurt and left with questions about why.
    this is properly true in most cases.
    if you feel you are up to the task of helping others then go ahead my friend, only you will know when the time is right to go back but ease yourself back slowly.
    take care
  3. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Hmm well it does sound a bit dodgy. After thinking about it I'm wondering if it meant if a relative committed suicide after threatening to do so they will feel relieved because they are out of the pain they were so obviously in. HOWEVER, saying that, I don't think all relatives are "relieved" when their loved one commits suicide... far from it. Surely if someone has been threatening suicide for a long while and ended up doing it, wouldn't they feel bad that they couldn't have helped more? I'd have thought guilt and sorrow emotions would be more powerful than relief.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.